Colombia Travel Answers

change location
nhoolb's Profile Photo

crossing the border at Cúcuta

by nhoolb Online Now Aug 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Hello fellow Colombian and Venezuelan travellers.

I am in the planning stage of a trip Bogota-Caracas in January. Now, as I have stated myslf several times here in this forum, airfares BOG-CCS-BOG are ridiculously expensive-almost 500 euros return for a one hour 15 min. airtime. Monopoly of Avianca (Bogota-Caracas) and AeroRepublica (Medellin-Caracas) while Aires suspended (temporarily?) operations to Maracaibo. And Frequent Flyer miles are almost non-redeemable on this route (and I don't have enough Avianca + miles for a return trip; only a one-way)

Now I have been (locally) told to go for an alternative route:

Fly Bogotá-Cúcuta. Then, at the airport, take a taxi to cross into Venezuela to the airport of San Antonio de Táchira and from there continue flying to Caracas. It seems that travel time by car is around 30 minutes airport-airport.
Going this way the total air fare would be less than 100 euros one-way. I verified that already.

Now my question: has anyone used this route? And more specifically: how does the crossing by taxi/car proceed at the Colombian-Venezuelan border, especially as a non-Colombian or non-Venezuelan? Especially the Colombia-to-Venezuela crossing. I will be travelling by myself, alone.

I am aware, of course, of the delicate political situation between CO and VE; nevertheless I noticed that almost always the border crossings at Cúcuta remain open and functioning as normal despite the tensions.

Thanks for any input!

Noel

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Colombia Travel Answer Locations