Cologne Travel Answers

change location
Kevin_Miller's Profile Photo

Weiberfastnacht

by Kevin_Miller Online Now Jan 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Hi World, going to be in Cologne for Thursday 16th Feb, Weiberfastnacht, arriving around 18:00. Can someone give me some tips on where to go for the great atmosphere? Also will there be any clubs playing r&b music that evening?

Thanks in advance.

K Miller

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Weiberfastnacht

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Jan 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

This was the place in Cologne for jazz;

Papa Joe`s Jazzlokal "Em Streckstrump". Buttermarkt 37.Tel: 02201/2582132 They have live jazz every evening. Cover charges vary. Good food too if I recall.

Villa Ingis I also believe has jazz Elsa-Brandström-Str. 6, 50668 Köln. Tel: 0221/72 51 05

Check my Cologne page for things to do, places to eat and a place to stay. There are also a couple of Koln members here who are very helpful!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ettiewyn's Profile Photo

by ettiewyn Online Now Jan 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hi Kevin,

I wanted to give you the link to the appropriate page on the Cologne Tourism Website, but unfortunately just the one you need does not work...

However, you will find partying people and atmosphere all around the city centre. I think most people go to Heumarkt and Alter Markt, these are the centres of the festivities. The official festivities will be over when you arrive, but there will be people partying and drinking everywhere. I am not sure about clubs, though, I hope someone else knows more about that!
    Note: Heumarkt with "H", not Neumarkt with "N" - although there might also be something there.

Beware if you plan to take the tram (KVB) that evening, it will be absolutely full of people, many drunk, and stinking of beer - so if you only have a short way, you might rather want to walk on that day :-)

Have fun :-)
    Mirjam

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jan 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

And be sure not to wear a good tie, as you'll lose it. That's the day when women cut off ties.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Jan 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

> Can someone give me some tips on where to go for the great atmosphere?
    Totally unescapable.
    > Also will there be any clubs playing r&b music that evening?
    Only the r&b versions of the Cologne carnival songs.
    No - as said carnival is totally unescapable. The only alternative to carnival is to keep the doors shut.

• Kevin_Miller's Profile Photo

by Kevin_Miller Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Thanks to you all. Cannot wait. And yes I know about the ties. :-)

KM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines