Cologne Travel Answers

change location

A german visittor virgin

by MattB181275 Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 4:24 AM

I have never been to Germany before! Myself and my friends (all lads) are going to Cologne on Wednesday 12th January 2005 for two days. Can anyone suggest what we can visit during the day and the places we must see whilst in Cologne. I would also like some info on the night spots we should look out for and some general information about what we should expect from Cologne and Germany as a whole. Thanks for any helpyou can give us.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Re: A german visittor virgin

by kentishgirl Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 4:34 AM

Cologne is a fabulous city - I visited in November 04 and this city was my intro to Germany as well - you wont be disapointed! The obvious highlight is Koln Dom - the cathedral in the city centre, take walks along the beautiful river Rhine - the views are especially beautiful at night when the city is lit up. The Chocolate Museum would be another major highlight - I dont usually enjoy museums but I enjoyed this one! Depending on your interests, you may enjoy walking the route around the old city walls and seeing the remains and towers. You may enjoy the Cablecar ride across the Rhine from the Zoo - which is also an excellent attraction. Cologne is a very "happening" city and you wont be disapointed there either! Try and visit a typical German place - Fruh - would be the most well known. Hope this helps a little! Have a wonderful stay in Cologne! Ali x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • I live close to Cologne

by NewHaven2005 Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 4:56 AM

Hi,I don't know about the nightlife though I know it's pretty good. There is the Dome of Cologne which you will have to climb up it's pretty cool. Go to the "Früh" if you want typical German food and beer. Just ask people where you find that, everyone knows ! The museums are pretty neat if you like that kind of entertainment :0) For swimming go to the Claudius Therme. They have to coolest pools, nicest saunas, it's a great wellness center. The Zoo is boring. There is a fun park with cool rollercoasters in Brühl, close to Cologne, called Phantasialand. That's all I know about Cologne unfortunately. I am sorry I can't be more helpful :0)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Re: I live close to Cologne

by Gili_S Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 5:10 AM

Check VT pages on Cologne here, they will give you the best accurate information. In short, Cologne is nice place, lots to see and do, food is good, the beer is, well, different, too light to my taste and too small glasses, but at list you get fresh one all the time. In general, Germany is easy going place to visit and have fun. Germans also play good football, they usually beats England in crucial games ;-)

• abalada's Profile Photo

Re: A german visittor virgin

by abalada Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 5:25 AM

Cologne's home page http://www.koeln.de/en/ and another useful page http://www.anicursor.com/cologne.html If the weather is OK I suggest to climb on the south tower of the Cathedral. It was for some years the highest building on the planet and holds the biggest free swinging bell.

• Re: Re: A german visittor virgin

by sabsi Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 7:54 AM

For nightlife I'd suggest you leave the old town and go towards the ring road around Cologne. This is where most of the city's nightlife is happening, in streets like Zülpicher Strasse, Friesenstrasse, the Belgian Quarter etc. Enjoy Cologne! Sabs

• wolf66's Profile Photo

Re: Re: A german visittor virgin

by wolf66 Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 2:21 PM

Cologne is one of Germany`s best towns. Follow the tips of sabsi, I agree with them. Visit Päffgen in Friesenstraße,not Früh at the cathedral. And: Carneval has started already here,so don`t wonder!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines