Colmar Travel Answers

change location
sanjuro66's Profile Photo

Language

by sanjuro66 Online Now May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Hello!
I will be staying a few days in Colmar, France. I realize that English is not frequently spoken there. I can communicate in French to some degree and a little (very little) in German. Which is more polite French or German? (taking under consideration the back-and-forth history). And "Alsatian"...is that frequently spoken?

Henry :)

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Language

by christine.j Online Now May 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

French is the language spoken in Colmar. Alsatian can still be heard mostly in villages , spoken by older people. But there are so many tourists in Colmar, anybody who works with tourists understands at least some English or German.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Colmar, Alsace is French. Therefore ,use your French there. German is not needed. English is very much spoken there as second language and some do German.

your history is a bit outdated.
    cheers

• sanjuro66's Profile Photo

by sanjuro66 Online Now May 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. :)

Henry

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM

enjoy Colmar, have a cold riesling !

• jojes's Profile Photo

by jojes Online Now May 16, 2012 at 6:53 AM

@gwened
    We'll be in Alsace soon ... I know I'll be having one (or more ...-;) )

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now May 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

We discovered most people in or near tourist areas speak very good English. French is always spoken and quite a few speak German. You should have no trouble at all with French and English.

Enjoy Alsace and have a Crémant d'Alsace for me. (Alsace's answer to Champagne) It's particularly good sitting beside a river, canal or on top of a mountain with a fabulous view. ;^)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM

good Joles, is the best wine in all of Alsace, and of course the one there are known for it. Rieslings.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now May 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I have found that french speak a lot more english than the rumour says.
    They are just not always fond of it as they hate the dominance of the english language.
    Whenever i am in France i always start a conversation in a my crappy french and once i have done that and shown respect to their langugae then most of them switch over to english so we can communicate better.
    And i found that Alsace has more english speakers than other parts of France.
    The local dialect by the way is closer to german than to french and quite easily understood if you can speak fairly good german.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

no claus, they dont speak because dont want to make mistakes speaking, as they do with French very picky about their language, they speak back to you in English because they see faults in your speaking ability.

it happenned to all who come here and dont have like me a backup at home to practice and family around , ask forestqueenNYC here, she went thru this language adjustement.

And they do speak a lot more English than most know, just feel afraid to dare say it. I know because in my job, they need to use English with foreign customers but with me its all French;;;;I have to get them out of the shell ::)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now May 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

We spent a week speaking French to a favorite waiter near Poitiers years ago. I finally came up against something I simply couldn't say and grabbed my ever-present dictionary to look it up. Our cheerful, helpful waiter immediately coached me in English . . . and excellent English. I immediately responded by asking him why he had put up with my poor French all week when he spoke such good English. His response, "English is very difficult for me." Made sense to me. French was easier for him and helped him deal with us quickly and efficiently without worrying about what he was saying. I understood because I had been struggling all week with French. Many don't speak English because it's easier to speak French. It is, after all, their language. ;^)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines