Colmar Travel Answers

change location

Means of transport in Colmar surroundings

by mapi72 Online Now Oct 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I would like to visit Colmar and sourroundings in the first week of December.
Do you know where I can find information and timetables about buses connecting Colmar to the villages on the Wine Route?
I'm interested in Ribeauville, Riquewihr and Kaysersberg, in particular.
I found only one line for Ribeauville and Riquewihr (Line 106, few connections a day). I wonder if you know other lines or other cheap means of transport leading to these villages.
Any suggestion such as places and villages to visit are welcome.
Thank you.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Means of transport in Colmar surroundings

by Sarastro Online Now Oct 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM

For most of the popular regions of France; Provence, Burgundy, and Alsace, you have discovered the classic tourist trade off - time and money.

If you want to travel inexpensively, it can be done but it will take time, often lots of it. If you do not have a great deal of time yet want to use your vacation effectively you'll need to take advantage of quick transportation or a car.

Of course between Colmar and Ribeauville there is train service:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/

and among there other locations you mention there is bus service but frequency is very limited. I do not think you'll find additional bus service other than that which you have already found. If you have not already done so, you may contact the Office de Tourisme of Colmar for bus schedules which are not readily available on line:

http://www.ot-colmar.fr/

The only other low cost travel option is a popular one, bicycles. Here is a list of businesses renting them:

Location de vélos Coccinelle-R-Loisirs-Services
    14 Rue des Caves
    Wintzenheim
    Tél: 03 89 79 75 83

La Cyclotheque
    31 route d'Ingersheim
    COLMAR
    Tél: 03 89 77 14 18

Cycles Mayer
    6 rue du Pont-Rouge
    Tél: 03 89 79 12 47

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

Re: Means of transport in Colmar surroundings

by dnwitte Online Now Oct 12, 2008 at 4:40 AM

I took a two week holiday in Alsace a couple of years ago and found getting about by public transport so frustrating that I finally just rented a car.
    For towns linked by the north-south rail line connecting Strasbourg and Mulhouse it was just doable, albeit with long inconveniently timed waits, but bus service was so limited as to be virtually useless for our purposes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines