Collioure Travel Answers

change location
amsterdamnice's Profile Photo

Tunnels Collioure Cadaques

by amsterdamnice Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hi, does anybody know if (and how many and how long) there are tunnels on the road between Collioure and Cadaques as I am not found of those and driving that road in a few days. Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Tunnels Collioure Cadaques

by ranger49 Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I have driven along the coast road many times - all the way south to Cadiz - but I do not specially remember any tunnels between Cadaques and Collioure.
    It is quite a short distance - easily driven in an hour and 45 minutes at the most.
    It is a twisty bendy road with spectacular coastal scenery specially around Cap Bear.
    On the main N roads and the Motorway the tunnels are very clearly marked with advance warning to switch on your headlights on entering ( and off on leaving!)
    I remember them as being well lit and some were quite short.

Its up to you and how much time you have but if you have a "thing" about tunnels I would stick to the twisty/bendy coast road. Either way you will see fantastic scenery and Collioure is one of my favourite places. Happy travelling.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM

P.S. To plan your route take a look at
    www.viamichelin.com
    and play around with the options - recommended route , fastest, shortest, scenic etc. It may help you decide :)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Hi. We've driven the coast road as far as Colera and there have been no tunnels. It's a narrow, slow road. Check the Michelin map site. There are two possible routes given to Cadaques. I don't see tunnels on either and they aren't mentioned in the description although I don't know if Michelin notes tunnels since you simply drive through them.

I hope someone who drives both these routes will log on and give you better information. Here's the Michelin map site. Tunnels or not, it's very useful. http://www.viamichelin.com/

• amsterdamnice's Profile Photo

by amsterdamnice Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Thank you, I had indeed looked on viamichelin which does show most tunnels (but not all), there is one of 750m just off Collioure but that was the only one I found and on one of my maps it looks like there is one between Portbou and Colera but it's difficult to find out. From your reply I do undertand there are a few tunnels on the N roads though, which I couldn't find on my map either. Well, will have to find out on the road then on monday :) Thank you!
    p.s I indeed prefer twisty bendy roads to tunnels :)

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I just dug out my paper Michelin map and there is indeed a tunnel on the D914 just south of Collioure. We always take the smaller road down into and through Collioure so have never driven that particular section of the D914. You could cut down through Collioure, visit the beautiful village and then continue south and avoid that tunnel. There appears to be another tunnel just south of Portbou in Spain. We have driven to Colera a few times and I don't remember it, but since tunnels are not a problem for me, it was probably not memorable, just a nuisance for seeing the scenery. I don't have a paper map of Spain so can't check further. If there are no tunnels on the E15-A9, you could take that but I can't imagine it is as beautiful a drive as the one down the coast.

I hope you enjoy your trip. It certainly is gorgeous country.

by amsterdamnice Online Now Apr 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Thank you Beausoleil, I am in Collioure and it was indeed even logical to avoid that first tunnel. It is beautiful here although raining quite hard :)

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Ah, it's raining right now in sunny California too. Must be a rainy day.

by amsterdamnice Online Now Apr 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM

just putting my finds in the thread, if ever someone was wondering the same thing as me. Two short tunnels on this road. One on the French side near Collioure on the D914 of a bit more then 700 m and one on the Spanish side on the N-260 between Portbou and Colera of 522 m.

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Thank you. I'm sure someone will wonder someday in the future. I'm not fond of tunnels either. I like to see what is going on around me. You might put this is a Warning Tip for Collioure or someplace in that area. For a photo, you could use just plain black. LOL

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines