Colleville-sur-Mer Travel Answers

change location
milo91942's Profile Photo

Transport to Colleville sur mer from Cain Station

by milo91942 Online Now Jun 12, 2006 at 9:23 PM

I want to see the American cemetery but I cannot afford to pay for a tour. Train tickets from Paris to Cain are affordable, however. How far is it from Cain Station to the cemetery and other major points of interest (Point du Hoc, Omaha Beach)? Do I need to secure additional transportation? If so, how?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • milo91942's Profile Photo

RE: Transport to Colleville sur mer from Cain Station

by milo91942 Online Now Jun 12, 2006 at 9:43 PM

Sorry about the misspelling. I meant Caen, not Cain.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Jun 13, 2006 at 1:42 AM

Your best bet from CAEN, if you are arriving at the right time of year (July, August, plus weekends in June), would be the Bus Verts, which do everything you want for 17 EUR: france-for-visitors.com/norm...
    Otherwise, Colleville sur Mer is closer to Bayeux rather than Caen, which I think it is about 20 miles away, see abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteri...
    Here's a great map together with other information: thereareplaces.com/Guidebook...
    It's also possible, if you have long enough in the area, to walk the 10 miles from Arromanches to Colleville sur Mer along Omaha beach.

• PaulKirk's Profile Photo

by PaulKirk Online Now Jun 14, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Bus Vert covers the area and one of their buses does go past the American cemetery. I don't know the number but I'm sure their website will help. Don't expect a frequent service. Get the train from Caen to Bayeaux and it's only a few miles. I agree you should try to walk along the beach from Arromanches and climb the bluffs to the cemetery itself. It's steep and a graphic reminder of the geographical difficulties faced in 1944.You will have to look carefully for the path. Why not wak to Colleville and then down to the beach and on to Arromanches where buses should get you back to Bayeaux or even Caen. There's an excellent D Day museum in Bayeaux and the British memorial and cemetery are close by. There's also a museum and the remains of the Mulberry harbour to see at Arromanches.There are several mueums in the area and you should be able to find them by researching the many websites. I would also go to Pegasus Bridge which is up the canal from Caen. St Mere Eglise and Utah beach are much further to the west and probably outside your range without a car. If you can get a copy in States get Major & Mrs Holt's Battlefield guide to Normandy printed by Pen & Sword books in the UK. It will give details of all the sites and some info on how to get there. Whatever you decide it's worth the effort.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Colleville-sur-Mer