Coimbra Travel Answers

change location
mediamind's Profile Photo

visit on Good Friday

by mediamind Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hello,
We are planning to visit Coimbra for a day on Good Friday (29th of March). Will the Old University and other attractions be open? Should we expect anything special due to this holiday? (More crowd or less crowd or closures because of ceremonies, etc.)
Sorry for my ignorance, but this is not observed in Hungary (only Easter Monday), therefore I am not sure what to expect.
Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kevin36's Profile Photo

by kevin36 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Hiya,

Do you mean Cumbria?

cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Contac...
    If it is nice weather everywhere will be busy as Most people will be off for the long week-end.
    In the U.K. Friday and the Monday are classed as Bank Holidays,however some places will be open.
    Short answer yes it will be busy if the weather is nice.
    Regards
    Kevin

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mediamind's Profile Photo

Re: visit on Good Friday

by mediamind Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Thanks Kevin, but the reason I put this question to Coimbra, Portugal forum is that we are headed to the South this time, not the UK. :)

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Good choice with Coimbra rather than Cumbria.

Because Portugal is an exceedingly Catholic country, yes better to expect large crowd during Easter almost anywhere in the country. If you're coming at this time definitely which is soon, I'd hope that you've already booked your hotel and transport (train/bus tixs if you're not car renting) by now. If you haven't as yet, see if you can come after Easter instead when things will have been back to normal schedule.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Many people will be at church, there may be processions and other religious observances.

You may find some attractions, shops, bars and restaurants closed. Transport will be limited.

I would not recommend a day trip on such an important religious holiday unless you wish to join the observances.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines