Cobh Travel Answers

change location

Shore Excursions from Cobh

by fideauxdon Online Now May 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM

We are taking a Transatlantic Cruise next April, and one of the ports visited is Cobh. We are looking for a one day tour of the area, including Kinsale and Blarney Castle. One company, eCoach.IE offers a tour that looks good and is reasonably priced. Can you tell me anything about this company?
Altertnatively, are there other tour companies that you would recommend?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Shore Excursions from Cobh

by leics Online Now May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I have no personal experience but, from looking at the site, it seems that ecoach.ie offer in this case is in fact a local company (Butlers Buses Ltd) taking advantage of the fact that cruise shore excursions are often expensive and passengers might want a cheaper alternative. Here's their website;

butlers-buses.com/cobh-shore...

You'll notice the price is from one cent higher! :-)

I would be happy to take this tour, personally. There's a reasonably detailed review of it here:

cruiseforums.cruisecritic.co...

I doubt you will find many/any other tour operators operating from Cobh, other than private tours such as:

lynotttours.com/b-ishore.htm...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • henry14's Profile Photo

by henry14 Online Now May 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Cobh itself is also a lovely old town and could also keep you fully occupied for at least at a day, lots of history and places of interst(e.g. the main Irish port of emmigration, last port of call for the Titanic, Lusitania memorial and mass graves):

visitcobh.com/index.php/thin...

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

by Ekaterinburg Online Now Jun 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM

The port in Cobh is right next to the train station and trains leave Cobh for Cork city about every 45 minutes. Once in Cork you can catch a bus to Blarney or Kinsale from the bus office. And I do mean right next to. At the station you can see the side of the docked ships.

I think your decision on the daytrip will probably need to be governed by the time you have ashore. If you dock early , you could make Kinsale or Blarney on public transport quite easily but if you want to see both and the tour offered is reasonably priced then it seems like a good option. Bus eireann do day trips from Cork but they would be all-day tours and probaly too late back for you to get back aboard on time. If e-coach actually leaves from Cobh, then it sounds like the best option.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines