Clifden Travel Answers

change location
Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

Walking near Clifden?

by Jennyjump79 Online Now Sep 14, 2004 at 5:43 PM

Hi! I'm heading to Ireland in November and am thinking of spending a night or two in Clifden. I'd really like to get out and do some walking or biking while I'm there (yup, I know-- it's November.) The guide books I've found all suggest walking either the lower or higher Sky Road. Has anyone done this? How strenuous of a walk is it? I'm a pretty avid walker, but I'm not very experienced when it comes to hiking and difficult terrain-- should I stick to the lower road? Lastly, should I be concerned about being alone in this area? I've travelled solo to cities before, but this is my first time venturing outside a metro area by myself. Any advice would be a big help!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Waoife's Profile Photo

Re: Walking near Clifden?

by Waoife Online Now Sep 15, 2004 at 2:39 AM

Don't think the walk is so much strenuous as long (although I must admit I was in a car when I did the Sky Road!!!). There's not much in the way of "civilisation" along the route so once you're on your way you pretty much have to finish the walk. It is beautiful though - hopefully the weather will cooperate & you won't get too wet ;-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ladyanne's Profile Photo

RE: Walking near Clifden?

by ladyanne Online Now May 16, 2005 at 4:20 PM

I am also going to Ireland in November with my daughter and a friend of mine. This will be my third trip there. Connemara is a walking paradise. The hills are so barren and there doesn't seem to be any real steep parts. If you could get a B&B in the Cliften area that has trails, then they could keep an eye on when you leave and when you return, so you don't feel nervous walking or hiking alone. I'm not familiar with Cliften. I am also trying to spend a couple of nights there.
    One night in Galway, one day on the Aran Island Inish Mor by ferry from Rossaveal, two nights in Cliften area to tour Connemara and Westport and Cong. Then a night possibly in Cregg Castle and then on to Dingle.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines