Cleveland Heights Travel Answers

change location
Aloe9678's Profile Photo

The Grog

by Aloe9678 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Hello! I'm going to a show at this venue in a couple weeks - they boast about their beer list, but my friend and I aren't really beer girls. Do they have any other great drinks, and how is the bar situation while bands perform? Just curious.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: The Grog

by bocmaxima Online Now May 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Ah, The Grog Shop. They get some really good bands coming through.

As far as the drinks go, I'm a beer guy, and they do have a good beer selection. It is a full bar though, so I'm sure they could make you something frou-frou.

I would warn you though that the Grog is an old punk club. It's grungy, there's very little seating and it's got dirty floors. And the grunge includes the bathrooms. It is not a place to sit around and enjoy a couple of drinks. There are other places in Coventry for that. If there's no band playing, I don't even think they open the doors.
    In fact, both times I've been, they only opened the doors about a half hour before the bands started, and, both times, the bands started like an hour late.

Parking tip: if you look at the map you'll see Washington Blvd. dead-ends near the intersection where the Grog Shop sits. There is free street parking here and there's a small park that you can walk through that separates the dead-end with the intersection. It's 2 or 3 hours free, but is not enforced after, like, 8pm. If you come on a Friday or Saturday, or when there's a really popular band playing, you'll need to get there early to get a spot there. If you do get there early, there's a great bookstore and probably one of the best toy stores in the country right there on Coventry. Also a great beer bar, but you said you're not into that, so...

Have a good time. I love Cleveland, and this is a very good venue.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Aloe9678's Profile Photo

Re: The Grog

by Aloe9678 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Thanks. We're seeing Foster the People on a Monday. I'm not really planning on sitting much, but I was curious if they had more than one bar or if the bar got particularly crammed between sets, etc.

Thanks!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cleveland Heights