Civitavecchia Travel Answers

change location

BIRG Day Pass

by NYCinque Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Read abt Trains to & from Rome, from civitavecchia
Where to purchase 1 Day BIRG pass for 7 adults & 1 3 yr old.
Are they available online or must get @ train Station
Can we get off Train @ Roma St Pietro & Return from Roma Termini on round trip ticket
Website for Local train servicing Port & Roma
Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: BIRG Day Pass

by leics Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You will find Italian train times, details and fares on the official Italian railway website in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

I'm not sure if you can buy the BIRG in Civitavecchia. There are no Civitavecchia sellers listed here:

atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=21&a...">atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=21&a...

Please click on the link to the right of the > symbol. You will find more information about BIRG (and other tickets) on that official site, although it is not fully-functional at the time I'm writing this.

If you can, then it is usual to buy BIT, BIG and BIRG at news-stands or tabacchi (shops which sell tobacco and display a sign with a large 'T' outside)...but not all tabacchi or news-stands. I don't  think purchase is possible online.

You can get on and off anywhere you like within the zones you have paid for of course, if the ticket is available.

But the fare Civitavecchia>Rome is only 5 euro one-way. There is no real point in buying a return ticket because it is no cheaper: you may as well buy two separate one-way tickets. Ticket machines are very easy to use, with English language options.

I'm not sure if you could use a Civitavecchia>Termini return ticket (if you did buy one) from Roma San Pietro: it's a different line. Hopefully another VT-er will be able to clarify (Bill???).

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

leics wrote:

You will find Italian train times, details and fares on the official Italian railway website in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

I'm not sure if you can buy the BIRG in Civitavecchia. There are no Civitavecchia sellers listed here:

atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=21&a...">atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=21&a...

Please click on the link to the right of the > symbol. You will find more information about BIRG (and other tickets) on that official site, although it is not fully-functional at the time I'm writing this.

If you can, then it is usual to buy BIT, BIG and BIRG at news-stands or tabacchi (shops which sell tobacco and display a sign with a large 'T' outside)...but not all tabacchi or news-stands. I don't  think purchase is possible online.

You can get on and off anywhere you like within the zones you have paid for of course, if the ticket is available.

But the fare Civitavecchia>Rome is only 5 euro one-way. There is no real point in buying a return ticket because it is no cheaper: you may as well buy two separate one-way tickets. Ticket machines are very easy to use, with English language options.

I'm not sure if you could use a Civitavecchia>Termini return ticket (if you did buy one) from Roma San Pietro: it's a different line. Hopefully another VT-er will be able to clarify (Bill???).

IF (and that's a big if) you can buy the BIRG at all in Civitavecchia, it will be at the Information kiosk at the entrance to the port in Civitavecchia. That is, when you disembark your ship, you will be taken by free buses to the port entrance. There you will get off and exit, but if you look around (like under your nose), you will see a freen hexagonal (or octagonal) building with "INFORMATION" written on it in many languages...this is a dead gieaway, I think you'll agree.

Go in here and ask the very nice people if they sell the BIRG. If not, no worry, as you can't use it until you get to Rome anyway, so you can buy it when you get there.

As leics points out, you can often buy it at bars and tabacchi stores...yes, not all...but very likely the ones at or next to the train stations.

Yes, you can get off at Roma San Pietro outbound and return from Termini...just buy a "round-trip" ticket to Termini in Civitavecchia. NOTE: leics is correct that there really isn't such a thing as a round-trip (Brit "return") ticket in Italy - you'll get two one way tickets that are priced the same. Note that for Roma San Pietro and Termini, you may be given the same 80 kilometer ticket (regional tickets are priced per kilometer), and for all I know, the fare from Civitavecchia to Roma S. Pietro and then from Termin back to Civitavecchia may be the same. Let me see after I finish teaching class today...actually, the train from Termini to Civitavecchia actually runs through Roma San Pietro, so no problems there...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It's 4.60 from S Pietro, Bill, so a bit cheaper than from Termini (another reason for not buying a 'return' ticket from Civitavecchia!).

I think S Pietro is on the Roma Trastevere>Civitavecchia line?

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

leics wrote:

It's 4.60 from S Pietro, Bill, so a bit cheaper than from Termini (another reason for not buying a 'return' ticket from Civitavecchia!).

I think S Pietro is on the Roma Trastevere>Civitavecchia line?

OK, a few cents difference...so the "cheapest" thing will be two one way tickets...;-) You can get both of them In Civitavecchia at the machine as leics pointed out, or at the manned window (during normal daylight hours, both Civitavecchia and San Pietro have manned ticket windows as well...and Termini has dozens of machines and winodws).

Yes, to your second question...the trains leave Termini, go through Ostiense and maybe Tuscolana (not in that order), then at Trastevere, they go north towards San Pietro, then continue out northwest of Rome through Valle Aurelia and a bunch of other small stations, to ultimately parallel the coast to go up to Civitavecchia.

Bill

• strappazzon's Profile Photo

by strappazzon Online Now Jun 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Hi. I hope its not too late. We followed Rons instructions to the tee. We returned from Termimi and got off At San Pietro. Remember to validate your tickets on the platforms (yellow box) they do fine.Use this link for Ron in Rome roninrome.com/%20transportat...
    Enjoy!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

There is no need to use the roninrome blogsite. VT-ers can give you all the information, and more.....as you can see from the above replies.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines