Cincinnati Travel Answers

change location

What is up with the flying pigs in Cincinatti?

by blackft Online Now Dec 27, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I get why there are pigs everywhere; Cincinatti was very heavily involved in the pork industry. But why are they flying pigs?

I was told by someone that way back when, there was a barge floating through Cincinatti with a load of pigs going toward the slaughterhouse. There was substancial fog that day and it made it look as if the pigs were flying through the city. My Aunt said it was a nice story, but probably untrue and I cannot find anything on line to corroborate what I've heard.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • hayworth's Profile Photo

Re: What is up with the flying pigs in Cincinatti?

by hayworth Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM

It's basically just playing along with the joke. In the early 1800's Cincinnati was a big pork processing area. And there's the popular phrase along the lines of "That'll happen when pigs fly." Flying pigs are kind of funny I guess so we just played along with the joke. At the entrance to Sawyer Point/Bicentennial Commons, there are flying pig sculptures (in iron I think) atop two posts that look like paddle boat steam stacks. Paddle boats are another thing associated with Cincinnati. Cincinnati also had a large painted fiberglass pig art event (The Big Pig Gig) where hundreds of pigs, some with wings, were artistically decorated/painted - similar to the cows, horses, squirrels, etc. that other cities have used.

I've never heard that barge story. It sounds totally made up and I seriously doubt it.

(By the way, it's 3 n's and 1 t, not 2 n's and 2 t's.)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • fish388's Profile Photo

by fish388 Online Now Jan 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

It's just art.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Jul 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Heh - I heard it was because all the thousands of slaughtered pigs were innocent and so went to heaven on wings. That came from the lady selling flying-pig souveniers at the top of... whatever the tallest building there is, some years back. There was something to back up that interpretation in a timeline marked out along the river.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines