Cincinnati Travel Answers

change location
joebarcas's Profile Photo

Reds game

by joebarcas Online Now Jan 12, 2005 at 9:41 AM

4 of us will be in Cincinnati for a Reds game this summer. Any suggestions for a close, reasonable hotel? We'll have some time before the 7:00pm game for dinner, Any good local/regional places near the stadium? Thanks in advance! Pax, Joe

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • BeatChick's Profile Photo

Re: Reds game

by BeatChick Online Now Feb 19, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Hey Joe! I don't have any recs for a close, reasonable hotel as I feel that all the hotels downtown are too expensive. However, there's a Travelodge in the Newport, KY area (that's a great, hopping area that'll be loads of fun for the kids (Newport Aquarium, Cold Stone Creamery ice cream) as well as the adults - you'll find some things about the Newport area on my Cincy pages). The Travelodge is on the riverfront right beside the Taylor Southgate Bridge which you can walk across to get to the Reds arena, The Great American Ballpark. Should take you all of 15-20 minutes to get there. Plus, you'll get a great view of the beautiful Cincinnati skyline! I would ask for a river view. Newport Riverfront Travelodge 222 York St Newport, KY 41071 859-291-4434 I'm not sure how old your kids are but if they're older teens they'd enjoy hearing music at the historic Southgate House (birthplace of the Tommy Gun!) which is also just right there. virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1081... My tip on the Cincinnati Reds complete with ph#, address, website, info & photo: virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1103... There are tons of great places to eat at Newport-on-the-Levee which you'll be 2 minutes from. virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1048... One of my favorites and it's a local pizzeria, is Dewey's. They have a location there on the Levy. In my opinion, it's the very best pizza in all of Cincinnati. virtualtourist.com/m/tp/107f... There is also the Hofbrauhaus, which I am told is a great German resto in Newport & one I am dying to go to, plus it's a nod to Cincinnati's German heritage. Or after the game, you can try Donato's Pizza, another favorite of mine. It's not indicative of Cincinnati but it IS an Ohio pizza chain, I think from Dayton. There downtown location is on Main Street & 7th Street (721 Main St). Since Main Street is right by the arena, you can walk out, go up Main Street about 6 blocks & you'll be right there; should take you all about 15 minutes walk. http://www.donatos.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BeatChick's Profile Photo

Re: Reds game

by BeatChick Online Now Feb 19, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Here's info on the hot dog stands downtown where you can get German-style bratwurst or mettwurst (brats/metts), Cincy's take on the hot dog stand - good & cheap & a flavor of Cincinnati: virtualtourist.com/m/tp/10d7... Now, if you wanted to walk a bit further to one of the best takeout places, you'll go to Alabama Fish Bar in Over-the-Rhine. You'd walk about 14 blocks down Main Street & then turn left on Liberty & walk about 3 blocks (Walnut, Vine, then Race) to Race St. This is without a doubt one of my favorite places in Cincinnati. mmmmm virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1081... Or you can try our famous Izzy's Deli on the corner of 8th & Elm streets (7 blocks up, 4 blocks west). virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1081... Or if you want some good old-fashioned Italian food, you'll try Campanello's. Walk north about 2 blocks to 4th Street, then take a left to go west about 7 blocks (Walnut, Vine, Race, Elm, Plum, Central). virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1069... Now, if you want a nice, expensive restaurant then you MUST try the Maisonette, one of the best restaurants in the world! They do have menu offerings for lunch of11 per course. Unfortunately, if you'll be here for the weekend they are not open for lunch on Saturday & are closed on Sunday. virtualtourist.com/m/tp/faa0... or Jean-Robert at Pigall's (up 2 blocks, west 3 1/2 blocks): virtualtourist.com/m/tp/107a... not as expensive but great French food, JeanRo Bistro: virtualtourist.com/m/tp/107f... I think that 'bout covers the best of the best of Downtown. Enjoy your trip to Cincinnati!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines