change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Where to go at Mid / East Java for a family with kids

Java Yesterday

Dear all,

I'm actually already roughly organizing our roundtrip for next summer (mid-July / mid-August). We're a family with two daughters who recently became 6 & 8 y/o and we intend to visit Northern Sumatra, Java, Lombok and Bali. Northern Sumatra, Lombok and Bali are quite easy to schedule and organize myself. However, I'm strugling with the Javanese part since it's huge and we need to skip certain parts preventing ourselves from being too rushed and being in a time squeeze. We do have 8/9 days for Java in mind.

Yogya and it's surroundings are a must for us (also quiet for the kids when we do have our Yogya hotel as a ground base for several days). Also Mt. Bromo (eastern Java) are a must for us. So a trip from Yogya to Malang / Bromo (with 2 or 3 overnights during this trip) is something which I do have in mind. After Bromo we intend to catch the flight from Surabaya to Lombok.

My question is which village / small town is nice to have a stop for 1 / 2 nights when travelling from Yogya to Malang. 1. We actually consider Serangang (which seems quite in the middle between Yogya / Malang). Solo is also interesting, but this is still quite far away from Malang.

2. We also hear good stories about Kediri / Blitar, but here again....Blitar is quite close to Malang already and driving time from Yogya to Blitar is quite long.

Any further opinions / feedback welcome! If you consider below schedule the best for a family with kids (5&7 y/o), let me know as well.

30 juli: Medan - Yogya
      31 juli: Yogya (Borobudur)
      1 aug: Yogya
      2 aug: Yogya
      3 aug: Yogya - Serangan
      4 aug: Serangan
      5 aug: Serangan - Malang
      6 aug: Malang
      7 aug: Malang - Bromo
      8 aug (Monday): Mt Bromo (Sunrise / Vulcano / (avoid Mt. Bromo in the weekend) - Surabaya
      9 aug: Surabaya - Lombok

Many thanks for your input and feedback and sorry for this long introduction....:-)

Regards, Roger

more
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

How to go to Sriwijaya Archaeological Park?

Palembang Aug 10, 2015 at 6:36 AM

May i know how to go and how long does it take to travel by taxi from Palembang airport to Sriwijaya Archaeological Park?

more
    • How to get from Jakarta airport directly to Bandung

Bandung 7 hours ago

Hello.

I am going to Bandung, but my plane lands in Jakarta. I am travelling alone as woman, so I need a safe option for traveling.
      Best would be if I could book in advance. I speak nearly no bahasa so I need some advice.
      How much, where etc.

Thanks

more
    • Driver to Jakarta

Surabaya Aug 28, 2015 at 8:06 PM

I need to get from Surabaya to Jakarta tomorrow.
      Anyone know of private drivers ? The train is full and I cannot fly with my Visa.
      Please let me know. Thanks!

more
    • jeannetteb1's Profile Photo

Volcanoe disruption

Bali Aug 6, 2015 at 1:58 AM

Hi hoping someone can give me a little advice and support. We are due to fly out to Hong Kong this Sat with Cathay Pacific and then on to Bali on the 11th Aug. Does anyone know if Dragonair flights are being affected by the volcano ash? I can see lots of info for Virgin and Jetstar from Australian travellers but not a lot for other airlines. Cathay Pacific have very generic info on their website. I really don't know what to do, beginning to worry about flying to HK and getting stuck there! Booked everything ourselves, although insurance does at least cover us for the ash.
      Hoping for a little friendly support to stop me panicking!
      Thanks Jeannette

more
    • 10 days in Bali (+ Lombok/Gilli) over Christmas / New Year

Bali Aug 23, 2015 at 3:55 AM

Hi all,

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at suggested 10-day itineraries for Bali, but yet I still don't seem to have managed to find one that I feel works for me. I'm in Bali for 10 full days (11 nights), arriving on Christmas Eve and staying on until the 4th January. I will be arriving and departing from Denpasar

I'm not a big beach-goer or into surfing, though having said that, I would still like to fit in a couple of days at a quiet, relaxing beach. I will be travelling alone, and am in my mid-twenties. I don't drink, so I'm not looking for parties/bars/wild nights. I'm interested in exploring the history and culture, with a bit of down-time thrown in. I'm interested in the local life, scenery, food and exploration - so spending days at a beach resort is not too appealing - though some relaxation time on an authentic local beach would be lovely. I would also like to try and fit in Lombok and a couple of nights on one of the Gili islands - though I get the feeling that this might be trying to cram in too much.

At the moment, my rough itinerary is:

24/12 EVENING ARRIVAL

25/12 Bali (Ubud)

26/12 Bali (Ubud)

27/12 Bali (Ubud)

28/12 Bali (Ubud)

29/12 Lombok (Senggigi?)

30/12 Lombok (Senggigi?)

31/12 Gilli (Gilli T?)

01/01 Gilli (Gilli T?)

02/01 Bali (Sanur?)

03/01 Bali (Sanur?)

04/01 AFTERNOON DEPARTURE

I would be ever so grateful if you could share some ideas on which areas might be best for me to visit/stay for each of the proposed stops - as well as let me know if the itinerary is realistic. I would like the trip to be as comfortable as possible (I'm not a backpacker/hostel type), though, having said that, I will be on a budget (perhaps 3-star). As my trip is over the festive season, do you think that the date allocation for each stop is appropriate or should I make changes to the order that I plan to make each stop? I would also like the order of the itinerary to be appropriate and practical for departing for the next stop on my trip.

I have found that there are just so many variations and possible itineraries that cater for different interests, and I have just found it all very overwhelming, and not found a detailed itinerary that fully grabs me.

Thanks in advance!

more
    • Effects of Volcanic Ash in the city

Bali Aug 8, 2015 at 7:36 AM

I wonder if someone who is now in Bali can provide an update on the pollution level as a result of the volcanic ash. There was a report on BBC - August 7, showing damage to local crops and the thick ash on the crops and the locals using face masks. Would it be advisable to bring face mask for people going there in the next few days? In the hotels does the ash cover the surfaces...beds, tables, etc.? Just wanted to know what kind of an experience it is at this time. Thank you.

more
    • Susansumi's Profile Photo

HISTORICAL TOURISM AND ARCHEOLOGY FROM PAGARALAM CITY

Pagaralam 21 hours ago

Megalith stone of ancient archeology remains in Pagaralam have a high ancient historical valie , it a shows from many those historical site remains.the archeology in field Besemah such as;

1. Stone house /stonegrave in Tanjung Aro village , Belumai, and Tegur Wangi .
      2. The statue of human twisted by snake (tanjung aro ).
      3. Beghibu Stone (tegur wangi ).
      4. Nisan stone ( keban agung ).
      5.Monkey stone ( belumai).
      6.stone Grave (tegur wangi).
      7.the statue of human archelogy (belumai).
      8.lesung stone(belumai, tanjung aro ).
      9. gong stone.
      10, lambang stone .
      11. elephat stone, .

12 etc ,

That stone have many size and have uniquesharp and have high quality and has old age about 2500- 3000 years old.

1.STONE HOUSE (RUMAH BATU)

This megalith site is actually stone house by stone-age people to shelter. right on this site was found some a like animal reliefs/paintings. its located in Tegur wangi lama villagein north dempo 6 km away from down town , and Tanjung aro village ,in north pagaralam. 2km from down town .and in tegur wangi village only 10 m from beghibu stone .

2.SNAKE TWISTING COUPLE STONE (MANUSIA DILILIT ULAR).
      Megalit in the picture is known as snake twisting couple stone due to the carving on it shows the carving of a big snake twisting a making-sex couple . according to the local belief(myth) Tanjung Aro village located 2km away from downtown - the location of the stone was a sacred village. The carving on the stone tells us that once upon a time in ancient time , a couple was making sexbefore getting legally married and it caused the gods furious about their inadequate behavior . As the result, a big snake was sent to tiwst them then cursed to stone as the punishment and warning from gods to people.

3. THE GRIDING STONE (LESUNG BATU )

any 2 or more holes which used by the ancient people to grind or crush the seeds or grains .

4 .BEGHIBU STONE (BATU BEGHIBU)

This megalith is well known by name of Beghibu Stone which consists of 4 stone statues ,it is located in Tegur Wangi Lama village in north dempo ,6 km away from downtown, Beghibu means earings worn by ancient girls in the party to congratulate the recovery of their tribe chief after getting serious illness.

more
    • What visa/permits do I need to visit Sorong?

Sorong Aug 5, 2015 at 9:55 PM

I'm planning to visit family in Sorong at the end of the year, but am unsure what visas/permits I need or where to get them. Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

more
    • s.j86's Profile Photo

Phuket to Jakarta

Indonesia Aug 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Is there any ferry service from Phuket or any other part of Thailand to Jakarta or Bali or any other part of Indonesia? If yes, is it reliable?

more
    • Three weeks in Bali 27th February and Alcohol

Bali Aug 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM

My wife and I are due to spend about 3 weeks in Bali. We are both aged related pensioners and my last visit to a Muslim country was many years ago where alcohol was and is still prohibited. Not wishing to offend but like to have a glass or two of wine, especially with meals, I ask for advice. Not wanting to stay in 5 star hotels but prefer small guest house. Are there such places, that serve alcohol as in reasonably priced; Gin and Tonics, and wine ?
      Are there off licences/ stores where wines are readily available ?
      Can anyone advise on the best area for us to get a taxi to from the airport, to find such a Guest House, private facilities and hopefully a sea view. We will already have spent two months travelling so cost must be considered. We look for a; peaceful, tranquil setting but reasonably central for a few day excursions and site seeing.

more