Chula Vista Travel Answers

change location

Does anyone remember "The Westerner" bar

by cammy63 Online Now Aug 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I visited the Chula Vista/San Diego area in 1982 with girlfriends. We went to a bar called The Westerner - I think it was near the Naval base. Just wondering if it is still there or is called something else now.
If it is still there would you know the address?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: Does anyone remember "The Westerner" bar

by lmkluque Online Now Aug 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM

The Westerner was located at 7th and National City Boulevard, in National City--the city just north of Chula Vista.--It was closed in 1986 because of redevelopment plans for that section of National City.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Aug 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM

OH YES, I remember going once or twice, as that general area was my old stomping grounds late 70s/early 80s, as my husband was a Marine, stationed on the OKINAWA......thanks Linda!

by lmkluque Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM

You're welcome Trish!

I wasn't really paying attention the last time I was there, but I think the building is still standing. Just vacant.

The city has changed the area quite a bit. Of the two hotels first built there, only one is still operating as a hotel, the other has become offices/condos--not sure which. Also, the area has become sort of an educational center. They even have a Living Room Coffee House too. Still needs a lot of work, but the changes are interesting.

• Re: Does anyone remember

by Curly825 Online Now Oct 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Are you kidding?. I was a sailor in 1951 and spent some time at the Westerner Bar. They had bands 7 days a week and every month they had stars from Nashville playing there . Like Ray Price, Marty, Faron Young, etc Etc. Rose Maddox and the Maddox Brothers played there with Paul Harper and his band. When I got out of the Navy in 1955, I became a musician and also played there. I worked with Billy Moon, Myron Cook, Ray Feno, Paul Harper and Rose Maddox some times. The Westerner was the place to be at that time. Up the street was the 21 Club and oh so many more. I am living in Florida now and would like to chat with any one that remembers the Clubs of that area. Give me a shout. Curly kb3xy@krbenson.com

Re: Does anyone remember

by lmkluque Online Now Oct 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM

I'll have to check, but I think that the Westerner has changed to The Trophy Lounge. I'll let you know in the next couple of days.

by Tbirdfan Online Now Jan 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

lmkluque wrote:The Westerner was located at 7th and National City Boulevard, in National City--the city just north of Chula Vista.--It was closed in 1986 because of redevelopment plans for that section of National City.

Yes the westerner was a bar aka duct tape bar. It was full of west-pac widows. I am going back to San diego in Feb of 2014 going to see if it is still there. another small bar was Mcdini's it is still there.

Re: Does anyone remember

by lmkluque Online Now Jan 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Yes, McDini's is still around. (105 E 8th Street, between A Ave & Hoover Ave) if you are looking for the Westerner type bar take a look at Trophy's Lounge: Trophy Lounge: "Old Long Time Favorite" - National City Nightlife Tip by lmkluque

It's very similar.

by scbb Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The Westerner bar has been gone since 1986, Another person said it turned into the Trophy Lounge. That is incorrect. There was a bar down the street from the Westerner called Antonio's which also shut down in 1986. That bar relocated to the Trophy Lounge. The Trophy Lounge had a farewell party last weekend, I did not attend but that tells me it is also closed but I will find out for sure. The Trophy Lounge was the last Sailor type bar left in the area due to the redevelopment sited by a previous poster. In its final years it was only opened on the weekends. The area now had a community college and a large hotel. They even got rid of the restaurants they had back in the day. Very Sad.

by scbb Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM

The Westerner bar has been gone since 1986, Another person said it turned into the Trophy Lounge. That is incorrect. There was a bar down the street from the Westerner called Antonio's which also shut down in 1986. That bar relocated to the Trophy Lounge. The Trophy Lounge had a farewell party last weekend, I did not attend but that tells me it is also closed but I will find out for sure. The Trophy Lounge was the last Sailor type bar left in the area due to the redevelopment sited by a previous poster. In its final years it was only opened on the weekends. The area now has a community college and a large hotel. They even got rid of the restaurants they had back in the day. Very Sad.

by scbb Online Now Mar 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM

scbb wrote:

The Westerner bar has been gone since 1986, Another person said it turned into the Trophy Lounge. That is incorrect. There was a bar down the street from the Westerner called Antonio's which also shut down in 1986. That bar relocated to the Trophy Lounge. The Trophy Lounge had a farewell party last weekend, I did not attend but that tells me it is also closed but I will find out for sure. The Trophy Lounge was the last Sailor type bar left in the area due to the redevelopment sited by a previous poster. In its final years it was only opened on the weekends. The area now has a community college and a large hotel. They even got rid of the restaurants they had back in the day. Very Sad.

It is official, the Trophy Lounge is closed. They closed abruptly in January 2014. I do not know the reason why. I know for the past few years it was up for sale but no takers I guess. The Trophy Lounge was the last blast from the past. However in it's final years the patrons seemed kind of thugish. The city has wanted that place out of there for quite sometime. They finally got there wish. Now you would never even know there is a large Navy base next store.

by Rockyj Online Now Jun 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM

my parents played there in the late 60s... they changed names and band members a few times... was either "The Nina Russell Show" or "Nina Russell and The Keys" at that time... I was to young at the time to go in...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines