Christchurch Travel Answers

change location
smeans2's Profile Photo

Christchurch--Ease of access by car

by smeans2 Online Now Mar 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I will be visiting Dorset this May, staying in Shaftesbury. I would prefer to avoid the Bournemouth/Poole urban area, but I am interested in visiting Christchurch, mainly for the Priory. I don't need directions as I have maps, but can anyone give me a sense of just what I would be getting into in terms of traffic, roads, etc. It seems possible to skirt Bournemouth, but just how congested is the area? Finally, the church aside, is the town itself worth the trouble? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • smeans2's Profile Photo

Re: Christchurch--Ease of access by car

by smeans2 Online Now Mar 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Very helpful. This is what I was afraid of. I'd really like to see the Priory, but I visit the U.K. with some frequency, and perhaps I can do it off season some time. Many thanks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM

There is a photo of Christchurch on my Bournemouth page. Ranger49 is right - the area around the church and the river front is the only part worth looking at as a tourist in what is really a Bournemouth commuter town. Very pleasant and it would be a good place to live but not a lot for the tourist.

• smeans2's Profile Photo

by smeans2 Online Now Mar 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Frankly, the azaleas have me wavering. I grew up in Charleston, S.C., where spring is synonymous with azaleas. There are very few in Manhattan, except in pots. I don't have or need a car here, by the way, and I wouldn't drive in it myself, although I have done. My advice: do not. I live part of the year in Maine, where I love to drive (as I do in England, although the "wrong" side of the road is scary :-). As to the "little for the tourist," I don't require much. I would be going primarily for the church (one of only TWO 5-star Dorset churches in Simon Jenkins' England's Thousand Best Churches--Sherborne Abbey is the other), plus, now, the azaleas, of course :-).

• Re: Christchurch--Ease of access by car

by VickyK Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Hi,

I have found a useful website, displaying information about whats on in christchurch so the information about the town and whats on may be helpful, check it out at www.dorsetoutdoors.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines