Chongqing Travel Answers

change location
Brendela's Profile Photo

Where to get a nice and cheap violin in Chongqing?

by Brendela Online Now Jul 26, 2007 at 4:24 AM

I'll be in Chongqing in Dec for a few days. I want to get a good violin for intermediate to advanced use. I heard that Guangzhou is the wholesale place that manufactures the country's violins but I won't be visiting Quangzhou at all. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a good violin at a cheap price in Chongqing? If yes, where should I go down to? Are there specific luthier workshops that I can visit instead of buying from music stores which tend to sell relatively expensive? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Where to get a nice and cheap violin in Chongqing?

by gifiltafish Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 11:20 PM

don't know about chongqing specifically, but did try to find a violin while in china. beginning violins can be had relatively inexpensively, but anything with a richer tone will cost you 5000 kuai and up (and up). if you want a chinese made instrument just ask around locally and go for it, but if you're looking for cheap prices and good quality you'll likely need more than a few days, if you can find one at all.

you might have a bit of luck if you go to one of the universities and ask music students...

that being said, if you can play the violin you can probably pick up the erhu, fairly quickly. a beaufitul erhu would cost you less than even a beginner's violin, and it's got a fantastically unique sound

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • growingfish's Profile Photo

Re: Where to get a nice and cheap violin in Chongqing?

by growingfish Online Now Sep 6, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Hello!
    Welcome to Chongqing, China!
    there is a famour Violin Manufacture called Dido producing good quality violins.
    The price is resonable and you may get to pick your favourite one.
    I am in Chongqing,so any requests is welcome.

• chinaguy's Profile Photo

Re: Where to get a nice and cheap violin in Chongqing?

by chinaguy Online Now Nov 9, 2008 at 8:00 PM

you can get it some store or in the street at all .

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chongqing