Chincoteague Island Travel Answers

change location

Advice Appreciated

by dgm59 Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 7:32 AM

stopping by chincoteague (never been) for a couple days on the way to williamsburg with 2 children (6/7y/o)- my idea would be for the kids to do the beach, see the ponies and take one of the scenic cruises. there looks to be so many choices - can anyone recommend a nice place (not too$) to stay with kids close to the beach, where to see the ponies and good cruises for kids.

thanks much,
deni

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Advice Appreciated

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM

When are you going?
    There are no hotels on the beach in Chincoteague. It's all national seashore, so there's no development allowed. The closest hotels are still in the town of Chincoteague, and are about a 15 minute drive to the beach. There are lots of hotels on the water though.
    Not sure about this scenic cruise, but the ponies sort of go where they want. That's the beauty of it. From my understanding of it, there are several herds, so that gives you a bit more of a chance at seeing them. When I was there, in January, they were maybe 100' off the main road onto Assateague Island. A real treat. I think I was lucky though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Advice Appreciated

by dgm59 Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM

We are going the middle of August. is it crowded then? I am trying to look at a map to get my bearings. if i want to do a beach day is it easier to stay in town? there are a ton of cruises on the website - nature cruises in and around assateague and chincoteague - i just wondered if there were any that were best for kids? thanks.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Try the Best Western Chincoteague Island. It is on beach road near the enterance of Assateague N Seashore. Their prices are seasonal so call ahead and they have comp breakfast, free internet. During the pony round up and the summer season is most busiest in July. There are private charter boats, ferries and cruises to Tangier and Smith Island from the bay side of Virginia on Pocomoke Sound

• jelw's Profile Photo

by jelw Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 4:34 AM

The Refuge Inn is lovely. It's the closest hotel East bound to the beach (across the street from the Best Western.) It directly adjoins a pony pen with a few of the once wild ponies. They offer a pool, bicycle rentals and other family friendly ammenities.
    It may be very slightly less expensive than Best Western, depending on the room you choose.

You may want to look at travel tips on VT's "Chincoteague", for some reason more tips appear on this page then the Chicoteague Island page. They are not different places just show up differently on VT.

The "beach" is listed under Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Or under Assateague Island Ntl refuge, VA

Hope this helps

• PurePink's Profile Photo

by PurePink Online Now May 29, 2010 at 6:02 AM

For admission prices and hours of operation on Assateague Island, go to assateagueisland.com/island_...

If you go to Chincoteague, you WILL SEE ponies...somewhere. There are at least two different places where you can actually touch them. Both are in town, on Chincoteague Island. One is next to the Mc Donald's and the other is a souvineer shop around the corner from there where two are kept in a corral out front. Those by the Mickey D's are open corrals where different ponies can just wander up, and wander up they do, because you can put a quarter into the machine and get some feed corn out and feed them. I've got several pics on my blog, as well as names of all the places I could scribble down as we drove past, to stay. I was visiting relative down south and they drove us to the islands for a long tour. There's an interesting old slave shack there, which is pictured on my blog, and nice bay-side rental houses, too. For a tiny little island, there was a lot to see and do. My blog is located at http://nxpense.blogspot.com
    Hope this helps! I can't wait to go back!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines