China Travel Answers

change location

Tour companies

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for a good but not terribly expensive tour of China that includes Beijing, Great Wall, Xian, Great Gorge/Yangtse, Guilin, and maybe Homg Kong (would prefer Hong Kong to Shanghai). Of course it may be impossible to get an "inexpensive" trip (and I definitely don't want any health risks from staying in iffy places), but perhaps someone can point me to some companies offering tours that I wouldn't spot on my own.

Thanks very much.

Cathy

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: Tour companies

by wabat Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Cathy

If iffy hotels is the only thing preventing you from organizing your own trip in China, it shouldn't. The places you mention are all very main stream and have some of the best hotels in the world. If you look at reviews here and on trip advisor and ask for feedback here you should not end up in any iffy hotel (unless you want to).

Generally when you use tour groups you pay a prenium ( for someone organizing the tour). This is good if you don't want to or are not interested in planning trip yourself. For me, planning the trip is half ( ok not quite half) the fun.

Just a thought.

Albert

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Hi - I personally have not gone with them but friends loved China with Friendly Travel (http://www.friendlyplanet.com/). Not sure if would think their prices are too expensive but think their tours may meet your requirements. Good luck!

• Re: Tour companies

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Thanks very much. All my life I've made my own arrangements and only once, about 50 years ago, I took a packaged tour. But I am now 70, have a hearing impairment, and have been a bit worried about all the posts I've seen about problems with visas, etc. So I think for China I'd like to be taken to the places I want to see and not have to do my own booking.

And a final note: I may be going with a cousin, who'd be petrified to think of making our own arrangements.

If I were younger....

Thanks anyway.

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Just looked up the website, and it's fantastic. Found a tour that gave me all the places I wanted to see, and it included a possible extension to Hong Kong. The price was only a little higher than my ideal and well within my budget.

Thanks very much!

Cathy

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Sometimes it's nice to let someone else do the planning. :-) I've been checking into China myself but we have a 3 1/2 year old so it's probably best to find a family tour or book on our own! Have a wonderful time.

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Cathy - You deserve the pleasure of sitting back and let someone else organise the trip for you. Have a wonderful trip.
    Albert

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Thanks to both of you. Yes, I feel a bit like splurging on this trip by letting others do the planning for land transportation and things like that. It's for 2014 so I have lots of time to look into options.

Enjoy your own trips, to China and elsewhere.

Cathy

by cathy9510usa Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Thanks very much. Sounds excellent. haven't looked at the website yet but will do so shortly.

Thanks again.

Catht

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular China Travel Answer Locations