China Travel Answers

change location

Chinese visa overland questions

by oznztofro Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Okay i know allot of us are sick of hearing questgions about visas in these forums.

I know how to obtain a chinese visa. I got a transit one in Australia 2 years ago. In the end on arrival in Shanghi (then onto Beijing and London) my transit visas was looked at but hardly even used. I was the many travelers on air china going to europe and they simply gave me a stay Permit (back then you needed a visa for beijing)

So anyway because i now have an UK passport and soon to move to the UK ill have to apply for my chinese visa in the UK

I have read many times about the chinese tourist visa and it required air tickets out of china. Now i wouldnt mind having to fly in and out of China but what about if i wanna take the train from moscow to Beijing, do my dprk tour, get a train back in from Pyongyang then take a train to Hanoi.

Can rail ticket (if already pre booked) proove to the visa centre that it is you way and and out of china.

Id like to know how all you overlands that have gone tbrough china in the past year got tourist visas with or without train tickets

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cal6060's Profile Photo

Re: Chinese visa overland questions

by cal6060 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I have been applying Chinese Visa for many times, they never ask for the air tickets. If you are in and out of China many times, I would suggest you to apply for the multi entries visa. I have one that I can use for two years. It means I can go in and out China without any restriction within the two years. They never ask me for any air ticket or train ticket!

I had an American friend traveling with me to China in the pass. He had his visa done in Hong Kong without any problem. It means you can apply Chinese Visa in any Chinese Embassies or authorise agency in the World.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fizzywater's Profile Photo

by Fizzywater Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hi,
    I renewed my chinese visa (oct 2012) whilst in Mongolia. On the form it asked of the exit point.
    I just put i was leaving from Saigon by train to Vietnam. I believe you can't buy tickets more than a month in advance, and this seems a popular route out of the country, so it didn't raise any eyebrows.
    I left via bus to Kyrgyzstan in the end, with no intention of going to vietnam again.
    If you need flight proof-
    You could always go to a airline company and make a reservation for flights in and out of the country. This is FREE and done in seconds with a printout to show them,looking like the real deal. It even says 'confirmed' on the bottom. The reservation expires in a week if you don't pay-up.
    I have used this method afew times at airport checkout visa/counters when asked for proof of onward travel. I have been stung before on flying, so always cover myself now.
    Good luck,
    john

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I've not heard of anyone being asked to prove existence of tickets out. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    They ask where you intend visiting but seem happy enough if you just list a city or too. They are really just concerned about people entering restricted areas.

• Re: Chinese visa overland questions

by oznztofro Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Tourist and family visit visa (L-visa) is issued to a foreign citizen who comes to China for tourist purpose, family visit or other personal affairs.

(iii).Applicants who apply for tourist visa should provide hotel booking and entry and exit flight booking. If you join a group tour,you should provide your tour itinerary as well as your entry and exit flight booking.

Tgi swas from chinesew visa centre so im sure it says the same thing for all offices

• Re: Chinese visa overland questions

by oznztofro Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Anyway i was concering if anyone applyed for a chinese visa in australia or Uk and if they had the same requirments as i have stated

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Hi my earlier comments relate to Australia. They seem to be not concerned.

Checks increase around sensitive dates eg anniversary of Tianaman Square riots, anything happening in Tibet and the like.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular China Travel Answer Locations