China Travel Answers

change location
Laserone's Profile Photo

TOURIST VISA AND HOTEL RESERVATIONS

by Laserone Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Dear all, i have to fly to China by end of this month and have my flight booking printed ready for the visa office + my pictures + my passport. Now, apparently I need a confirmed hotel reservation as well, but my question really is: do I need to make a reservation for the whole stay (even if I can cancel it online) or can I just book a week in a city and then carry on traveling? THANKS

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: TOURIST VISA AND HOTEL RESERVATIONS

by Homanded Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Yes, all you need to do is provide the name/address of the first hotel.
    We always put our fist hotel's addy but travel onward from Beijing, Xi'An, Guilin, Yangshuo Shenzhen and on to Hong Kong.
    You will also need proof of onward destination which would be your return ticket.

Homer

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The above advice is great. In reality it depends a fair bit on where you enter China but do put down the address of the first hotel you will stay at. I lived in China (Zhuhai and Shenzhen) for four and half years including during the Olympics when restrictions were the strictest they had been for many years. I was never asked for proof of an onward destination although most times I could have provided one. The ticket does not necessarily have to be from China, it can be from Hong Kong or Macau as this is a common occurrence. I must admit that most of my dealings with Chinese Immigration and Customs over visas etc were really good.

2 members found this helpful

• Laserone's Profile Photo

by Laserone Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Hi thank you for the advice. I must add that my ticket covers a longer period than just 30days: in fact my stay is fromMarch 28 to June 22 and the consular office says now they want proof of reservation for ONE THIRD of the stay and that the Consul 'might' extend my 30 day visa..

It's ok I can book and cancel a hostel for that matter (loosing around 30USD in deposit though), but isn't there another way? Like a letter of invitation from a friend there so I can get the 90 day visa straight away?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM

if you are travelling on an Italian passport then I am surprised at this. It is not unusual for them to ask this but it usually applies to countries whose residents often overstay their visa (mainly African) or the Americans, French or English who they give a harder time than other nationalities. I think you may just have to put up with that but others may have ideas.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular China Travel Answer Locations