Travel Answers
Chile

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• What is the best way to purhcase airline tickets from Santiago to Castro?

Chile Jan 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM

We are planning on 2 week trip to Chile in June with our 8 year old. We will stay mostly in the northern area but would love to go visit Chiloe for a few days. I checked on LAN but it's about $400/person to fly from Santiago to Castro. Is this the best way to purchase airline tickets between Santiago and Castro?

more
    • paying with credit card

Chile Jan 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM

I saw that a hotel in San Pedro de Atacama indicating that if the hotel room is paid with a credit card, it will be charged at the local Calama exchange rate. Should we carry lots of CLP and settle hotels with cash? Is there any disadvantage in using US issued credit card in Chile (other than your card may charge fx fees - my card doesn't so this isn't an issue). Thanks!

more
    • Bus travel

Chile Dec 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM

We plan to fly to punto arenas and take buses north all the way back to Lima. Is this possible? I only see short bus travel, not any going north to Concepcion. Thanks

more
    • paying with credit card

Chile Jan 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM

I saw that a hotel in San Pedro de Atacama indicating that if the hotel room is paid with a credit card, it will be charged at the local Calama exchange rate. Should we carry lots of CLP and settle hotels with cash? Is there any disadvantage in using US issued credit card in Chile (other than your card may charge fx fees - my card doesn't so this isn't an issue). Thanks!

11 Answers Jan 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    • What is the best way to purhcase airline tickets from Santiago to Castro?

Chile Jan 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM

We are planning on 2 week trip to Chile in June with our 8 year old. We will stay mostly in the northern area but would love to go visit Chiloe for a few days. I checked on LAN but it's about $400/person to fly from Santiago to Castro. Is this the best way to purchase airline tickets between Santiago and Castro?

3 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    • Bus travel

Chile Dec 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM

We plan to fly to punto arenas and take buses north all the way back to Lima. Is this possible? I only see short bus travel, not any going north to Concepcion. Thanks

12 Answers Jan 1, 2015 at 10:59 PM
    • bus from punta arenas to el calafate

Punta Arenas Dec 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM

We are a group of 15 people that would like to go from Punta Arenas to El calafate .For us the best solution would be a private bus / van with a driver.Do you know any agency that could help us?

1 Answer Dec 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    • airport taxis readily available at 6am?

Punta Arenas Dec 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM

hi. i arrive into punta arenas airport at 12 midnight. we plan to spend the night at the airport and then catch a taxi downtown. we are booked with bus sur at 7am to leave towards puerto natales. my concern is ...would there be airport taxis readily available or is there a need for me to pre arrange for one?

1 Answer Dec 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    • looking for Transport on 31.12.2014 from Puerto Natales to Hotel Grey?

Torres del Paine Dec 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM

looking for Transport on 31.12.2014 from Puerto Natales to Hotel Grey, 03.01.2015 from Laguna Amaraga or Hotel Grey to Puerto Natales?

feel free to contact me: pit_26_@hotmail.com

Kind regards
      Peter

1 Answer Dec 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    • Day tour to San Alfonso del Mar

Algarrobo Dec 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

We will be visiting Valparaiso, and want to see if we can spend half a day traveling to Algarrobo just to see San Alfonso del Mar's biggest pool in the world, from the outside (I know we are not allowed in). Anybody knows where does the bus stop in Algarrobo (got an address?) will we be able to walk to San Alfonso del Mar? We can take a bus or taxi, but the worry is getting back to the bus station (to take a bus back to Valpo).

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

• Spending Just A Day

Valparaíso Dec 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Have a full day to spend in Valparaiso. Since my interests are in taking pictures of colorful homes and panoramic city views where would you recommend going and how best to get around town?

5 Answers Dec 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    • Meeting up with people in the park

Torres del Paine Dec 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Hello!
      My friends are starting in at the Paine Grande entrance and I would like to meet them halfway through the hike to just to the torres del paine. is this possible? can i meet them at the amargo bus stop? suggestions for where to meet??
      thank you so so much!!
      theresa

10 Answers Dec 8, 2014 at 4:07 AM
    • Drop off luggage possibility at the cruiseterminal in Valparaiso ?

Valparaíso Dec 6, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Hi,

We arrive by cruise (HAL Zaandam) at 22nd of december and we would like to know if we can drop off our luggage at VPT for halfd a day? So we can visit alparaiso/Vina del Mar.

If not possible to drop off our luggage at VTP is there another area to drop off our luggage?

With kind regards,

Fabian Brochard

4 Answers Dec 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    • FlyingDutchmen's Profile Photo

bus from Santiago to Mendoza

Chile Dec 4, 2014 at 4:29 AM

hi

I will leave Santiago de Chile with a bus from Andesmar to Mendoza in January 2015.
      From which Terminal do they leave?

And on the website of Andesmar they talk about the Output Habilitation Rate for entering Argentina.
      Does this apply for me? I have Dutch nationality.

I think it is very strange that I can buy a bus ticket on the website of Andesmar and that they don't give vital information. They don't respond on my email as well.

Thanks

Tobias

1 Answer Dec 4, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    • reciprocity fee

Santiago Nov 22, 2014 at 9:12 AM

is this fee still charged?

11 Answers Nov 24, 2014 at 2:28 AM
    • Valparaiso Cruise terminal to Santiago hotel with tour

Valparaíso Nov 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Need to transfer to Santiago hotel from Valparaiso cruise terminal but would like a tour of Valparaiso/local areas first.
      There will be 4 of us with luggage.
      Thanks!

5 Answers Nov 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    • Concha y Toro

Santiago Nov 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM

We have already taken several wine tours here in Chile and wanted to see Concha y Toro - is it possible to just go there and have a glass of wine and perhaps a bite to eat without doing a tour?

7 Answers Nov 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    • Suggestions for 3 days and 2 nights in TdP?

Torres del Paine Nov 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Hi,

Me an my friend will be travelling to Torres del Paine in December, and will be staying 2 nights + 3 days in the park.

This is our first time in TdP, and we find it a bit tricky to come up with a suitable route for such a short time. We both like hiking, but are not super sporty. And we prefer to stay in the refugios, and not to camp.

We'd be really grateful if somebody could suggest a suitable itinerary for such a short stay!

Sanna & Hanna

2 Answers Nov 12, 2014 at 2:49 AM
    • Las Torres Sendero del Ascencio - Towers of Paine

Torres del Paine Oct 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone,
      I will be staying at Hotel Las Torres Patagonia, mid November, and would like to take the day tour called "Las Torres Sendero del Ascencio". It is the hike to the base of the Towers. I am a little worried about the difficulty of the hike. Does anyone have any experience with this hike and how hard would you rate it?
      Thank you.

6 Answers Oct 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    • All Inclusive... or not?

Torres del Paine Oct 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Hi! We're planning a trip to Torrel Del Paine at the end of November. Below is the availability I've found at places we'd like to stay.

- Explora Patagonia (Nov 23-27, which aren't our original dates but we can make it work. $4,560 per person)
      - Patagonia Camp (Nov 26-30 and have option of all inclusive or not. Not is $850 per person, with all inclusive is $2,040 per person)
      -Tierra Patagonia (Nov 26-30, $3000 per person)

All inclusive is clearly a much more expensive option... do you think all inclusive is worth it? (I'm not sure we'll want to do activities non-stop and also I'm vegetarian- so not sure I'll be taking advantage so much of the food).

Seems like the only option that isn't all inclusive is Patagonia Camp.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on these options and if there are others I should look into? We're looking for something relatively luxurious as it's an anniversary trip, so no hostels etc.

Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    • Patagonia --- worth how many days?

Chile Oct 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Hi all!

I'm coming to Punta Arenas in december and just thinking how many days should I stay? Total trip is a month, so I could do up to 2 weeks I'd say.
      We'd like to see Torres del Paine, Parque Nacional del Glacieres, El Calafate, maybe do the penguin tour, see some waterfalls and lakes. I can more or less guess how many days these will take but I have no clue about the logistics -- does it take long to go from A to B to C etc?
      On a similar note, if anyone has done some neat itinerary there, suggestions are very welcome :)

Also, any idea how much a car hire would be worth -- for say 2 weeks? Does it work out cheaper than buses if we are 4 people? In general any guidance on prices of transportation (and in general ) will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

2 Answers Oct 20, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    • Carretera Austral

Chile Oct 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Can we rent a vehicle in Puerto Montt and drive to Balmaceda while staying in Chile the entire time (to avoid paying Argentinean reciprocity)

1 Answer Oct 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    • School (children) in Jauary, Summer classes, activities for children

Santiago Oct 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I want recommendation of school (children 8 and 5 years old) in January, summer classes with activities in Santiago Chile, they don´t speak English. They speak Portuguese.

• transfer from Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago

Valparaíso Oct 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Anyone knows a company that does transfers from the port to a hotel in Santiago?

2 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    • 10 days in chile... suggested itineraries- help!

Chile Oct 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM

hi all! first off, I'm probably being lazy to ask this and not just do the research as I know there is an abundance of information on here about Chile, but I started researching and I'm overwhelmed by options of what to do- so I thought I'd ask the experts for help!

My husband and I are going to Chile from Nov 20 to Dec 1, flying in and out of Santiago from the US. We enjoy beautiful scenery, urban cities, wineries and the outdoors (we're basically not museum/structured sightseeing travelers!). We're in our mid-30's and it will just be the two of us.

We are fine renting a car or not, whatever is easiest and budget isn't a major issue (we're willing to splurge!). We don't want to cram too much in and be moving from place to place every day... but we'd love to see a few different things.

Would love your suggestions of an itinerary for our trip?

Thanks for your help!

4 Answers Oct 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    • Planning the trip.

Torres del Paine Oct 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I need help in planning our trip to Torres del Paine in March, 3 for 2 days. We will have a rental car and will be staying at Hotel Rio Serrano. We are all close to 55-60 years old, not very adventurous. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you!

3 Answers Oct 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    • Using MerVal from Cruise Terminal

Valparaíso Oct 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM

1 - Please confirm that the MerVal Baron station is closest to the cruise terminal.

2 - What is process / procedure to purchase tickets for MerVal at the Baron station?

3 - On a Sunday, are there machines or people selling tickets or both?

4 - Is cash required to purchase tickets?

5 - Is it possible to purchase tickets using credit cards?

6 - Is it possible to purchase the Tarjeta Diaria/Turista at the Baron station?

7 - Is it possible to purchase the fare for adulto mayor at the Baron station?

8 - What is required to prove age for adulto mayor fare? Is a U.S.A. passport sufficient?

Thanks for help - Jon

2 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • basiania's Profile Photo

Hiking around Santiago

Chile Sep 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Me and my friend are going to Santiago in few days. We are staying in middle Chile, as we have only 10 days there. We wanted to go for hiking for two or three days, we can not rent a car though. What are the chances to get to the mountains/national parks without having a car? Which park is easy accesible?

We were thinking about taking a bus or hitchhiking, the question would be if there are buses going there or if the roads are not too empty to hitchhike. We just want to walk around and see some nice landscapes, nothing too extreme. We would also love to spend a night there, camping is ok, as long as we can safely leave our backpacks there and not carry them around. If not, simple bead&breakfast would be ok too.

Any ideas where to head? What would be the best place to go and the easiest way to get there? I know there are tours we could book, but we want to stay longer than one day and walk by ourselves.

Cheers an thank you!

Ania

5 Answers Sep 18, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    • When is the best time to visit Los Andes?

Región de Los Lagos Sep 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM

When is the best time to visit Los Andes?

2 Answers Sep 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    • travel to Puerto MOntt

Santiago Sep 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

what is the best way to travel from Santiago airport to Puerto montt Bus or plane?

10 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    • Dayne63's Profile Photo

Chile to Argentina by Bus and then flight in Argentina - Reciprocity fees

Chile Aug 21, 2014 at 7:20 AM

If I bus from Chile to Argentina and then take a flight from Buenas Aires (BZE) to Iguazu Falls, will I have to pay the reciprocity fees at the airport? I have a US passport. Thanks.

1 Answer Aug 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    • looking for a qualified Spanish tutor or School in Valparaiso

Valparaíso Aug 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Can anyone recommend a tutor of Spanish in Valparaiso? I am looking for someone who has some experience and education and can teach above the intermediate level

3 Answers Sep 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    • Dayne63's Profile Photo

Chile and Argentina 56 day itinerary

Chile Aug 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I have booked a trip starting in Santiago for Oct - Nov, 2014. My plan was Santiago - Viapariso, bus Mendoza - BA, RT Flight Iguazu Falls / BA, Bus BA - Bahia Blanca, Bus Bahia Blanca - to San Martin de los Andes, spend time in the Lakes District, Chiloe, and then head down to El Calten/El Calafate and around Torres del Paine. Is there a better route that can be done in 56 days where I would take in more of BA. I also thought to take the Maglev from Port Montt to Puerto Natales and then head up to Al Calafate and El Chalten to Visit Torres del Paine and then make my way back up and eventually back to Santiago. Single women traveling solo too. Any advice would be appreciated. Kind regards. Diane

2 Answers Sep 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM