Chichicastenango Travel Answers

change location
Babzz's Profile Photo

Worth the trip?

by Babzz Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 8:46 PM

So I'm heading to Guatemala end of next month and really itching to go to Chichi. Consequently, creating an itinerary has been complicated becuase market days fall on thurs and sun and so I have to work around this. Since I'll be in Antigua on their market day, my question is: Is it worth going to Chichi even if I've already been to a Guatemalan market? Thanks for any advice :)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • JuanPabloS's Profile Photo

RE: Worth the trip?

by JuanPabloS Online Now Jan 10, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Chichi is the way to go if you are a shopping fan. As for the experience, if you seen one you've seen them all. The only difference is scale and assortment.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SKYE24's Profile Photo

RE: Worth the trip?

by SKYE24 Online Now Jan 11, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Chichicastengo market is certainly huge. It has got lots of great textiles, but of the same stuff that you will find in other markets (just lots more of it). It's also great to see the stuff that they sell to the locals, not just the tourists. Antigua is a VERY different town to Chichi, as Antigua is very much a Spanish town, whereas Chichi is very much Mayan. If you can get there, it's much more the authentic Guatemalan market experience than I imagine the Antigua one to be (although I am guessing since I wasn't in Antigua for their market day).
    If you can get there, then I suggest you do.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Worth the trip?

by Babzz Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM

Thank you for the replies!
    I've decided to make the trip over to Chichi..for the cultural aspect that you pointed out. Afterall, that is one of the main reasons I'm going to Guatemala! Plus that means I won't have to carry all those souvenirs around for a few extra days. :)

• Babzz's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Worth the trip?

by Babzz Online Now Mar 9, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Well, I have to say that it wasn't really worth the trip, except to say that I've been there. Like you said, it had all the same stuff as the other markets, and often not of as good quality! And hardly any paintings (which I had largely put off buying until then :(...). But still, it was an experience. I recommend taking the chicken bus instead so at least the trip doesn't cost so much!
    Cheers :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines