change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• nelsondb63's Profile Photo

BLUES ZONE

by nelsondb63 Online Now Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM

I've been in Chicago 14 years ago, I remember we went to a street where you could find many blues clubs. Once you enter on the 1st one you had to pay an entrance fee, then they gave you a wristlet which you could use to get into any of the blues clubs on the same street/area, as many clubs as you wanted. Now I'm going to visit the windy city again and I wonder if anyone knows which is the place/street/area I'm talking about. Is it still exists? Thanks for your help! I'd appreciate it very much

more
    • RobynH13's Profile Photo

Traveling to and around Chicago for the first time :)

by RobynH13 Online Now Aug 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Hi. I'm coming into Chicago this week for the first time. I've never navigated public transportation before. I'm headed from O'Hare, to my airbnb downtown, to Soldier Field. I'm petrifield of missing a stop, or not finding the spots I need to go to for the bus/eL. Are they easily navigated by newbies?

Also, I have to take the UPN (is that right? lol) to Great Lakes the next day.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advace.

more
    • Sharonov's Profile Photo

Swimming Pools for Visitors

by Sharonov Online Now Aug 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Here am I, a Chicagoan, Asking this question: where can my visiting grandkids go to swim in a pool? They've been to the beach, of course, since we live on this big lake. However, their father would like to take them to a pool--and we can't find one that admits people without a membership! The park district requires proof of residence, and for many reasons too long to explain, neither my husband nor I can go with. So.........anybody know of a pool where they can just pay to get in for a few hours?

The park district, unfortunately, has mostly indoor pools that are extremely regulated. The one near us, for example, closes the pool most of the day for water aerobics, day camp, etc., so that's out.

more
    • Chicago taxi strange receipt

by kop23 Online Now Aug 30, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Hi. I've got this in place of a receipt after a driver took me from O'Hare to a downtown location. Can anyone tell if this is real and in case it is who does the driver work for? It was a random driver that convinced me to go with him, nothing was prearranged.

more
    • Chicago taxi strange receipt

by kop23 Online Now Aug 30, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Hi. I've got this in place of a receipt after a driver took me from O'Hare to a downtown location. Can anyone tell if this is real and in case it is who does the driver work for? It was a random driver that convinced me to go with him, nothing was prearranged.

22 Answers 3 hours ago
    • nelsondb63's Profile Photo

BLUES ZONE

by nelsondb63 Online Now Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM

I've been in Chicago 14 years ago, I remember we went to a street where you could find many blues clubs. Once you enter on the 1st one you had to pay an entrance fee, then they gave you a wristlet which you could use to get into any of the blues clubs on the same street/area, as many clubs as you wanted. Now I'm going to visit the windy city again and I wonder if anyone knows which is the place/street/area I'm talking about. Is it still exists? Thanks for your help! I'd appreciate it very much

1 Answer Aug 11, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    • RobynH13's Profile Photo

Traveling to and around Chicago for the first time :)

by RobynH13 Online Now Aug 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Hi. I'm coming into Chicago this week for the first time. I've never navigated public transportation before. I'm headed from O'Hare, to my airbnb downtown, to Soldier Field. I'm petrifield of missing a stop, or not finding the spots I need to go to for the bus/eL. Are they easily navigated by newbies?

Also, I have to take the UPN (is that right? lol) to Great Lakes the next day.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advace.

3 Answers Aug 25, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    • Sharonov's Profile Photo

Swimming Pools for Visitors

by Sharonov Online Now Aug 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Here am I, a Chicagoan, Asking this question: where can my visiting grandkids go to swim in a pool? They've been to the beach, of course, since we live on this big lake. However, their father would like to take them to a pool--and we can't find one that admits people without a membership! The park district requires proof of residence, and for many reasons too long to explain, neither my husband nor I can go with. So.........anybody know of a pool where they can just pay to get in for a few hours?

The park district, unfortunately, has mostly indoor pools that are extremely regulated. The one near us, for example, closes the pool most of the day for water aerobics, day camp, etc., so that's out.

4 Answers Aug 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    • Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

Public order and safety

by Oleg_D. Online Now Jul 31, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Hi dear fellow travelers and especially citizens of Chicago,

As far as I remember last celebration of July 4 was, let me say, noisy in Chicago. The butcher’s bill was seven shot dead including seven years boy whose father has been arrested forty three times but was never imprisoned and who probably was the real target, plus forty wounded. So, my question is, what areas, blocks of Chicago are safe and what dangerous. What areas white European should never enter, should no enter during dark time and so on.
      I hope central part of the city including area with Chicago Institute of fine arts is relatively safe as any European city.

Thank you in advance.

3 Answers Jul 31, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    • Suburb near Chicago for Families

by NancyT26 Online Now Jul 30, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Traveling to Chicago from Columbus Ohio with a 16 and 6 year old for Labor Day Weekend and looking for a suburb suggestion for safe, nice area to stay with about a half hour rail commute into the city? Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

10 Answers Aug 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM
    • Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

Transportation from Chicago, Illinois to Detroit, Michigan

by Oleg_D. Online Now Jul 30, 2015 at 4:47 AM

What is the best (fastest, cheapest) way to get Detroit, Michigan from Chicago, Illinois? Train? Bus? Airplane?

4 Answers Jul 30, 2015 at 12:15 PM
    • pesrn's Profile Photo

travel with 86 year old mobility-impaired Uncle, and 20 year old

by pesrn Online Now Jul 27, 2015 at 11:43 AM

conveniet hotels to views/touristy stuff
      ideas for weekend (Aug 15/16) activities

1 Answer Jul 30, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    • How safe is Chicago for students ?

by SiddheshT Online Now Jul 13, 2015 at 6:03 AM

Hi,
      Me and My friend are coming to Chicago for our Masters this fall. I will be attending UIC and he is going to attend IIT. Can anyone suggest a safe place in between these two colleges. Some people(not locals) suggested me that IITs location is not safe and commuting from there at night can be dangerous. Because of this problem we are not able to find an apartment which will be safe any convenient for us to commute to our colleges. Can anybody please help me out on this.

6 Answers Jul 14, 2015 at 4:00 AM
    • 4th of July

by ashxd Online Now Jun 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Hi! I'm planning to visit Chicago on the 4th of July. I don't intend to sleep after the fireworks. Any good bars, 24 hour restaurants or coffee shops to spend my time? Location preferably near the Greyhound Station on 630 W Harrison St as I'll be catching an early morning bus back at 7am.

1 Answer Jul 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    • Taking Metro from south shore to van Buren station

by MargL Online Now Jun 6, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Where is a good place to stay overnight near a Metra station when going from Detroit to central Chicago, 520 S. Michigan Ave.?

4 Answers Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    • avs189's Profile Photo

Feedback and pointers on my trip to Chicago !!

by avs189 Online Now Jun 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I am planning to visit Chicago during the independence day long weekend (4th July) for 3 days . I would be staying around North Oakley Avenue area about 15 min walk to Howard CTA . My tentative itinerary is as below :

Day 1 : (4th July)

Visit North Loop & Millenium during the day , Chicago Riverwalk in the evening - both by Free Foot tours
      Is it advisable to be around Navy pier during the 4th July weekend ?

Day 2:
      Planning to explore the Mag Mile .
      Can 360 Hancock and Willis visited within span of 3-4 hrs?
      I dont have much inclination towards visiting Art Institute( not much of art loving person) , Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum .More suggestions are welcome here.

Day 3.

There is some Grand Tour which i came across while going through attractions of Go Chicago Card which is around duration of 4 hrs .Not sure whether this is really good option :)

Any more suggestions are welcome keeping in mind i wish the day to be spend at leisure rather than too much packed in one single day !!

14 Answers Jun 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    • bronas's Profile Photo

Breakfast on the magnificent mile

by bronas Online Now Apr 12, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Can anyone suggest a good place for breakfast on or near the magnificent mile? Thanks!

4 Answers Apr 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    • Tour Tribune Tower

by Resgestae Online Now Apr 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Who can I talk to to share some recent photos I have taken of the building so that I might get a private tour of the building?

2 Answers Apr 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    • Working in Gary IN

by AngNovi Online Now Apr 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM

I'll be working in Gary IN and understand that staying there would not be the safest option. Where in Chicago would be close and safer?

6 Answers May 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    • gerryexide's Profile Photo

Hotel to stay

by gerryexide Online Now Mar 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM

What are the hotels near chicago river?

3 Answers Mar 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    • Parking - Lincoln Park Area

by pdot Online Now Mar 15, 2015 at 8:40 AM

My family is planning a trip to the Lincoln Park area. We want to go to Oz park to play and eat lunch, then go to the zoo for a few hours, and then to Bacino's for a late lunch. What would be the best parking strategy for the day? Is there free parking at Oz?

Could we park at the zoo and walk back and forth? I know the zoo charges $20. I don't mind paying, but would prefer not to pay multiple times driving back and forth if we are going to be in the same vicinity for the day.

Free is the best if there is a way to make that happen. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

4 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    • jess_nutella's Profile Photo

Short listed places to stay.. safety/convenience/food etc etc... :)

by jess_nutella Online Now Mar 2, 2015 at 2:45 AM

Hi I'm trying to decide on a few places to stay in Chicago and have narrowed it down. I'm wondeirng if anyone has any thoughts on the following locations (safety/fantastic/avoid etc.)

1) Wicker park - North Cleaver Street

2) Lake View - West Roscoe Street

3) Lake View - North Cleaver Street

4) Lincoln Park - North Magnolia Avenue

5) Near North Side / Gold Coast - West Division Street

6) Lake View - West Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field and Boystown

I'll be travelling to Chicago with my partner. We are in our mid-twenties and love food. We will be trying to see some touristy things, trying deep dish pizza etc..

2 Answers Mar 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    • LindaM112's Profile Photo

Paris Safe?

by LindaM112 Online Now Feb 16, 2015 at 7:20 AM

As an American, traveling with my girlfriend, I'm a little nervous. Do you feel it's safe.

7 Answers Mar 2, 2015 at 3:06 AM
    • need touristic help

by chefjoffre Online Now Jan 29, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Please I am planing to go to Illinois and It would be mi first time in USA, Im going to attend a Course and I like to know if there is a person or a service that you can recomend me to help me to know a little bit of the city and that explain me the best way to go from the course to my hotel. (I am latin so if speaks spanish it would be great)

Thank you for your response

2 Answers Jan 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    • Looking for a guide

by chefjoffre Online Now Jan 25, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I am plannig to go to Illinois but Its going to be my first time in the USA, Iam going to do a Course and I need a person who help me to know the city and (better if speaks spanish because I am latin) explain me the way to go from the hotel to the School. Please could you recomend someone or tell me where I can find this kind of service???

thanks a lot

3 Answers Feb 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    • Is Chicago South side 91 street safe? Any hotels in the area? St Jude Shrine.

by ThankyouJude Online Now Jan 22, 2015 at 2:37 AM

Need to visit The National Shrine of St. Jude it is located at 3200 East 91st Street in the South Chicago. Is this a safe neighborhood. Any ideas to lodging in this area??
      Or Driving to this area by renting a car 2 ladies in her 60's
      Any Information is appreciated.

3 Answers Jan 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    • LOCAL CUBS GAME

by YvetteC7 Online Now Jan 13, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Amongst our visit to Chicago we are keen on attending a Cubs game at their home ground one evening. What is best website to purchase from (we only want 1 session)? What seats should we aim for without spending moonbeams?
      Thanks again for your help.

3 Answers Jan 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM
    • Local Knowledge

by YvetteC7 Online Now Jan 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Hi we are travelling from New Zealand (7-20May) to stay in & around Chicago. We love seeing/visiting things other than the stock standard touristy places. We enjoy outdoors, brewery's, adventure and the unusual. If you have any suggestions we would love to hear. :)

15 Answers Feb 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM
    • AnnieDrew's Profile Photo

Appreciate ideas for a one full day sightseeing in Chicago December 6, 2014

by AnnieDrew Online Now Nov 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hello, my friend and I are visiting Chicago this December and has a one full day to spend for sight seeing. I would very much appreciate if you can suggest for places to visit and how or where do we start. Is there a discounted pass for these visits.

Thanks very much and I sincerely hope someone can help with suggestions soon.

Anne

18 Answers Nov 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Restaurant Name?

by roamer61 Online Now Nov 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I recall a restaurant that either Andrew Zimmer or Anthony Bourdain visited that serves state of the art cuisine prepared like works of art. Does anyone know the name of the place I am thinking and their price range?

I know its probably pricy but I always try to splurge at least once.

22 Answers Nov 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    • alycat's Profile Photo

Road trip - Chicago to DC

by alycat Online Now Oct 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Hello VT'ers

I'll be doing a road trip from Chicago to DC with family next month, start early morning and get to DC by night.

We are in no rush to get home, so please suggest places to see, scenic routes, local restaurants and stores that we can stop by on our way to the capital.

Thanks in advance!
      Ali

3 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    • DJStarr's Profile Photo

Ideas for a great One day in Chicago Loop area October 1, 2014

by DJStarr Online Now Sep 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Hi,
      Well, we have a day to putz in the Loop - suggestions? We've been to the Bean, the Navy Pier (2012), the Ledge, the architecture boat tour, the open top bus. What would you do (two able-bodied 50ish sisters) for the day? Historic tours, cool interiors, rooftop views, good pub/café for lunch, etc. - all good.
      I know San Francisco but Chicago? Not so much, other than how to get around. We're taking the train in from the NW suburbs in the early a.m., spending all day and into the evening.
      Thanks, folks!
      DJ Starr

6 Answers Sep 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

How many days?

by roamer61 Online Now Sep 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM

I have actually, 2 questions.
      First, how many days? I am thinking a week (6 nights).
      Second, has anyone stayed at Getaway Chicago Hostelry? I can get a private room for about $72 a night. Are the beds comfortable and is it noisy?

19 Answers Sep 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Affordable Accomodations

by roamer61 Online Now Sep 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Though looking at the Pacific Northwest, also looking here for next year.

Is it possible to get an accommodation for under $120-150 a night in a centrally located and safe area? I should add I am in my 50s and do not stay in hostels. I like my privacy.

17 Answers Sep 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM