Travel Answers
Chicago

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• AnnieDrew's Profile Photo

Appreciate ideas for a one full day sightseeing in Chicago December 6, 2014

by AnnieDrew Online Now Nov 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hello, my friend and I are visiting Chicago this December and has a one full day to spend for sight seeing. I would very much appreciate if you can suggest for places to visit and how or where do we start. Is there a discounted pass for these visits.

Thanks very much and I sincerely hope someone can help with suggestions soon.

Anne

18 Answers Nov 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Restaurant Name?

by roamer61 Online Now Nov 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I recall a restaurant that either Andrew Zimmer or Anthony Bourdain visited that serves state of the art cuisine prepared like works of art. Does anyone know the name of the place I am thinking and their price range?

I know its probably pricy but I always try to splurge at least once.

22 Answers Nov 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    • alycat's Profile Photo

Road trip - Chicago to DC

by alycat Online Now Oct 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Hello VT'ers

I'll be doing a road trip from Chicago to DC with family next month, start early morning and get to DC by night.

We are in no rush to get home, so please suggest places to see, scenic routes, local restaurants and stores that we can stop by on our way to the capital.

Thanks in advance!
      Ali

3 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    • DJStarr's Profile Photo

Ideas for a great One day in Chicago Loop area October 1, 2014

by DJStarr Online Now Sep 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Hi,
      Well, we have a day to putz in the Loop - suggestions? We've been to the Bean, the Navy Pier (2012), the Ledge, the architecture boat tour, the open top bus. What would you do (two able-bodied 50ish sisters) for the day? Historic tours, cool interiors, rooftop views, good pub/café for lunch, etc. - all good.
      I know San Francisco but Chicago? Not so much, other than how to get around. We're taking the train in from the NW suburbs in the early a.m., spending all day and into the evening.
      Thanks, folks!
      DJ Starr

6 Answers Sep 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

How many days?

by roamer61 Online Now Sep 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM

I have actually, 2 questions.
      First, how many days? I am thinking a week (6 nights).
      Second, has anyone stayed at Getaway Chicago Hostelry? I can get a private room for about $72 a night. Are the beds comfortable and is it noisy?

19 Answers Sep 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Affordable Accomodations

by roamer61 Online Now Sep 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Though looking at the Pacific Northwest, also looking here for next year.

Is it possible to get an accommodation for under $120-150 a night in a centrally located and safe area? I should add I am in my 50s and do not stay in hostels. I like my privacy.

17 Answers Sep 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Which Bus to use from Union Station to McCormack Place?

by charlesracine Online Now Sep 11, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Which Bus should we use to travel from Union Station to McCormack Place? Which side of the station is it and I believe we need the correct change too? I realize we could use a taxi too. Thanks so much in advance.

5 Answers Oct 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM
    • jtraveler9's Profile Photo

Where to stay?

by jtraveler9 Online Now Sep 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Trying to find cheaper accommodations for my friend and I while in Chicago... any suggestions ? (Outside of hotels) And any specific areas we should stick to, that would put us relatively close to touristy things? Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Sep 9, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    • Safety in Pilsen

by Jane9999 Online Now Aug 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM

My daughter is looking at an apartment on 18th street between South Western Avenue and South Damen Streets. She will be using the Pink Line to commute to and from her college and will be returning at night about 9:30 - 10:30 in the evening. She will need to walk about .3 miles to her apartment after she exits the train. I have read several reviews about Pilsen and I understand it has gone through some gentrification, but I also have read that there is still some gang activity in certain sections. Can you provide more information on the safety in the specific area that I am inquiring about, especially at night. Thanks so much.

5 Answers Sep 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    • Please help!!

by baeb00 Online Now Aug 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Well, I have a lot of questions!!...ok, my husband and I have never been to Chicago, so we need lots of assistance and suggestions.....
      1...Would you recommend staying at a hotel out of the city and taking the Metra into downtown??.....and if so, where would be a semi-close and safe city to stay in??.....we are used to staying at like La Quinta Hotels??
      2...Are there certain "directions", i.e.--like North, etc. of Chicago to stay clear of, safety speaking??
      3...I have heard that Michigan Avenue is the place for shopping...does the Metra run there??
      4...We have heard the Navy Pier is nice...what other attractions should we be sure to see??
      5...Any other helpful info??
      Thanks for helping!!

3 Answers Aug 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    • Brown Line

by Kimberly67 Online Now Aug 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I've read that the brown line affords some of the best views of Chicago architecture. We've never ridden it before. Do the trains make a continuous loop or would we have to transfer trains to get back to the station we departed from?

11 Answers Aug 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    • WeylandYutani1's Profile Photo

Hyatt @ O'Hare

by WeylandYutani1 Online Now Aug 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I will be in Chicago dropping off son at Purdue Univ. and was considering staying at this hotel. The rates seem very good for 23-25 Aug and the L train is near so I only have to rent a car for one day. Was hoping to get some good pizza if you can add that! Thanks, Gary

4 Answers Aug 12, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    • Does the BLue LIne from O'Hare stop within a couple blocks of the United Center?

by AnnfromIowa Online Now Aug 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Does the BLue LIne from O'Hare stop within a couple blocks of the United Center?
      or do you have to get off the blue line and take a bus to the United Center?

7 Answers Nov 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    • Taking the train

by huff222 Online Now Aug 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM

We are flying into Midway arriving at 8am on a weekday. We are thinking of taking the train to our hotel which is located near Michigan Avenue on N. Wabash Ave. We are traveling with 2 12 year old boys. Is this a good choice?

12 Answers Aug 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    • lizzytex's Profile Photo

Moving to Chicago

by lizzytex Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 8:30 AM

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Chicago from Houston. We both work from home so can virtually work from anywhere - and Chicago is his favorite city (although I haven't quite been sold on the winters yet!!) My question is regarding the schools: we have a 13 year old daughter and, while I'd like to put her in public school, I haven't read great things about CPS. We are planning to live in the downtown / Lincoln park area, so I read up on LP High school. Although their "testing" scores are high (which may be due to their IB program?) the reviews I've read are not that great. I know there are quite a few magnet schools, but I'm concerned about being able to get her in knowing that they have very few slots for transfer students and it seems the competition is pretty stiff. She is currently taking all pre-AP classes, so she does well in school. I was a little freaked out after reading about some of the magnet programs I read about in Chicago have their HS kids with 3-4 hours of homework a night - and I can tell you we haven't had anything like that! Of course she is just now starting 8th grade, so maybe that is the difference between middle and high school. We will probably base our decision on the school issue, so any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

3 Answers Aug 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    • Free Trolleys

by Brownsugar20 Online Now Jul 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Does the City of Chicago offer any Free Trolley Rides? If so, where are the boarding locations?
      Thank you.

1 Answer Jul 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    • msleddogtom's Profile Photo

places for air show Photographs

by msleddogtom Online Now Jul 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Im looking for a good location to take photographs of the Chicago Air Show... i dont have a powerful Zoom lens only up to 300mm and I'd ideally like to be away from the Sand on the beach any body have any suggestions??

12 Answers Jul 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM

can you use a tripod

by msleddogtom Online Now Jul 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

can you use a tripod when taking pictures from the hancock place observatory?

2 Answers Jul 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM

chicago skyline

by msleddogtom Online Now Jul 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

best places to take pics of chicago skyline

19 Answers Jul 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    • apuleuis's Profile Photo

Time to go to the Planetarium & Skydeck

by apuleuis Online Now Jul 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I am planning a vacation to Chicago next month and getting a City Pass. This gives us access to Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Willis Tower Skydeck and the Museum of Science & Industry. We're arriving Saturday & Leaving Tuesday so trying to cram it all into 4 days. So my question is, a standard family of 2 adults & an 8 year old, about how long does it take to go through the Planetarium (VIP entry) and the WIllis Tower Skydeck (Fast Pass)?

6 Answers Jul 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    • Avoiding the Dan Ryan?

by gamegirl61956 Online Now Jul 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM

Is it possible to avoid the Dan Ryan coming from central Il and going to Evanston IL?

1 Answer Jul 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    • kathys2850's Profile Photo

Rush hour traffic

by kathys2850 Online Now Jul 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We are driving out of the city on Monday evening to stay at a hotel out near ohare. If we wait until 7-8 o'clock to leave will we miss rush hour?

2 Answers Jul 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    • kathys2850's Profile Photo

Driving into city.

by kathys2850 Online Now Jun 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM

We are driving into the city from Wisconsin on Sunday morning the 6th of July probably around 11:30. Looking to avoid heavy traffic if I can. Will there be a problem late morning?

5 Answers Jun 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    • where to stay

by melbox91 Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM

When looking at where to stay what is the best area? Thanks

12 Answers Jun 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    • GreyGoose36's Profile Photo

Flying Toronto -> Chicago -> Tokyo -> Hong Kong - Short layover in Chicago

by GreyGoose36 Online Now Jun 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I was looking for flights from Toronto to Hong Kong in July and noticed JAL has the cheapest flights by far ($400 cheaper) than any other airline. Once I checked the itinerary I found out why. Every single flight choice for the special offer has a 45 minute layover in Chicago at noon on a weekday.

I called JAL customer service and they assured me

1. The 2 flights will be in the same terminal. 2. The gates should be close together. 3. I will not have to pick up my checked luggage and go through security again.
      4. If I miss the flight and it is the airline's fault, they will put me on the next flight they can.

I plan to call them again tomorrow and ask what constitutes the 'airline's fault' (how late does the flight have to be to be their fault?), but just how bad of an idea is this? Obviously this isn't ideal but it would be $400 cheaper. I'm not working in July so I wouldn't even mind prolonging my trip by half a day to a day if it meant me getting to my destination at no extra cost.

8 Answers Jun 23, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    • best spots to visit

by Vanessa_Maria Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Hi!I'm travelling to Chicago this fall and I was wondering which are the best and safest spots to visit there? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated ;)

24 Answers Jun 28, 2014 at 12:42 AM
    • Boys tour in August

by sargentatarms Online Now Jun 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Hello from England,
      I'm visiting Chicago with a friend and we're going to climb skyscrapers, eat too much food etc but also wanted to possibly hire jet ski's, do a helicopter tour and go to a shooting range. Can anyone recommend places for these? Really appreciate any help.
      Tom

4 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    • Best time for Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise?

by antuantuan Online Now Jun 12, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Hi,

Would you have any suggestion for the best time to do the cruise at the end of July?

The following times are available:

10:00 AM
      11:00 AM
      12:00 PM
      1:00 PM
      2:00 PM
      3:00 PM
      5:30 PM
      7:30 PM

8 Answers Jun 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    • Kelmacmar's Profile Photo

Consolidation

by Kelmacmar Online Now Jun 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Hi, me again. :)
      My sons and I are leaving for our Chicago trip on Wednesday, June 11, and will be there until the following Tuesday. We're staying in Pilsen, but of course want to do lots of things that aren't in the Pilsen area. Among other things, we'd like to go to Lincoln Park Zoo, Grant Park, downtown (definitely the Sears Tower but not only the Sears Tower), Chinatown, Wicker Park, and the Museum of Science and Industry. Oh, and dinner at Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba is a must. We'd also like to go to some cool record stores and stores (along the lines of the Alley).
      My first question is, since we'll be taking trips from Pilsen on the L and on buses, can you recommend a logical way to schedule our trips so we make the most of our time? Also, can you suggest any neighborhoods or spots that would be good for thirteen- and fifteen-year-old boys--and their thirty-nine-year-old-mom--into the punk/alternative scene?
      Thank you!!

18 Answers Jun 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    • Airport Transport/hotels

by January57 Online Now May 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Coming into O'Hare in August for 5 nites - what is least expensive way to get into city? Also, we don't plan to rent car so what section of city would be best to visit sites using public transportation?
      Plan to visit Wrigley Field and Verizon with White Sox, some museums and such - not interested in shopping, just getting local flavor of city by eating our way around the place.

9 Answers May 31, 2014 at 5:10 AM