Chicago Travel Answers

change location
ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Lincoln Park a good place to stay?

by ZeekLTK Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Looking for hotels for a weekend in Chicago, found one called "Inn at Lincoln Park" which is the cheapest we've seen outside of airport hotels, but was just wondering if there is anything to do in Lincoln Park in the first place.

Another option is the Travelodge, which is a little more expensive, but seems to be right in the downtown area.

So basically I'm just wondering, if we stayed in Lincoln Park, would we then have to spend a lot of money on public transportation? Or is there a lot of stuff to walk to in that area as well? (google maps says it's about an hour and a half walk from the Lincoln Park hotel to the Travelodge FWIW)

*Side note: about Travelodge - if we stayed there, how much would it cost to park? I found the price for parking at the Lincoln Park place, but nothing seems to mention parking at Travelodge...

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Lincoln Park a good place to stay?

by goodfish Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Parking at the Travelodge is35 a night.

Lincoln Park is a long walk from the central downtown district (I've done it) so if most of the attractions you wish to see include Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier, the Institute of Art, Magnificent Mile shopping, etc. you will want to consider staying farther south or plan to take bus/L trains quite a bit.

Here's some info on Lincoln Park:
    chicagoparkdistrict.com/park...

Chicago public transit is good though, so getting around isn't difficult:
    transitchicago.com/travel_in...

Tickets for one ride are2.25 or you may buy single or multi-day passes for unlimited rides:

http://www.transitchicago.com/fares/
    transitchicago.com/travel_in...

I'll throw this out as we stayed in this centrally located hotel with free parking:

"Location, value and free parking!" - Best Western River North Hotel Tip by goodfish
    http://www.rivernorthhotel.com

What attractions are you wishing to visit while in the city?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 2:51 AM

sheraton four points

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Lincoln Park is a neighborhood in Chicago, a very nice neighborhood. It's a couple of miles outside of the tourist area of Chicago but it is accessible by el and by bus. Some people like to stay in the neighborhoods so they can be closer to restaurants and bars that are frequented by locals rather than tourists but there aren't a lot of hotel choices outside the downtown area.

The Travelodge is at the very southern end of the loop just a block off Michigan Avenue. It will put you within walking distance of the Shedd, Field, Adler and Art Institute. Not as much in the surrounding area in the way of bars and restaurants although that area has a lot more than it once did. But there's an el and a bus within a block or so. Hotel parking is never cheap in Chicago, it's35 if you use their parking. The Millennium Park garages used to be cheaper, now it appears they are just a few dollars less per night.

travelodgechicago.com/servic...

You can get Cta passes for a day, 3 days or a week, I see them discounted on Groupon every so often, in fact it looks like there is one on there now for a 3 day pass for9 (usually20), must activiate by September 1, 2013. Groupon is a legit website, I use it all the time to find deals on dining etc. The deal can disappear at any moment so if you already have your trip booked, it's worth getting regardless of where you stay unless you plan on walking everywhere. A 1 day pass is10 so you can get a 3 day pass for less than a 1 day pass.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM

The hotel that Kate (Goodfish) gave you a link to is widely known as one of the very few centrally located hotels with free parking.

I don't ever park overnight so I'm not sure if there are any lots where you can leave your car for an extended stay, I will mention that when I do go and park downtown on the weekends I have a lot that I park at in River North (Kinzie between LaSalle and Clark) that is8 for the day flat rate. I just called them because I was curious, they said if I came on Friday after 3pm and left Sunday evening that it would be35 for Friday,8 for Saturday and8 for Sunday. The catch on Friday is that it's8 as long as you leave before 5am on Saturday. But still averaged out it's less than any hotel garage

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention that up in Lincoln Park there is the Lincoln Park zoo, Second City is not far (that's considered Old Town), the Chicago History Museum. There's a small conservatory next to the zoo, not as big as the Garfield Conservatory but a nice free little thing to do. There's also the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and if you are coming in the warmer months it's close to the lakefront.

A lot of my friends have used Priceline's blind bidding or Hotwire to get rooms, unless it's a busy convention weekend you should be able to get a much nicer room by blind bidding than what you could get booking the regular way. Once you bid though you are non refundable and non changeable.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines