Chicago Travel Answers

change location

Coming from Toledo On St. Pat's Day, want to park and ride

by Lalalang123 Online Now Mar 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I am thinking of taking the Metra from the 93 rd station so I can park there. Is it safe? Any other suggestions? I think it drops me at the Millennium station, or should I get off at an earlier stop? Thanks so much for any advice.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Coming from Toledo On St. Pat's Day, want to park and ride

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Why not just use the South Shore Line? It also goes to the Millenium Park station.
    http://www.nictd.com/stations.html

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I'd follow the previous posters advice and park at Hegewisch (parking fee) or Hammond (no parking fee) on the South Shore line, I wouldn't be comfortable coming back to 93rd Street at night. I used to commute from the Hammond station and am familiar with the Hegewisch station, never had any problems in Hammond. You could even get on at East Chicago if that is more convenient from whatever highway you are driving in on.

I have been by the 93rd Street station, people from around where I live do commute from it but the surrounding area makes me a little uncomfortable at night.

Millennium Park will likely be the closest station to where you want to be, certainly if you are going downtown for the river dyeing, if it's the parade then Van Buren is closer to the start and the finish is in between the two.

• Re: Coming from Toledo On St. Pat's Day, want to park and ride

by Lalalang123 Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Looks like we will try the South Shore, thanks. Any comments on parking at Gary Metro Center as far as safety at night? We will be coming in off of 90. Hammond is our second choice. Thanks!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 6:16 AM

East Chicago I would park at, Gary I would not. The lots should be patroled, I know the one in Hammond is, but if it was me I would go the extra distance and park in Hammond or East Chicago. East Chicago is easier to get to than Hammond, it's a straight shot up Indianapolis Blvd. Are you staying overnight? There are a couple of decent budget hotels near the Hammond station.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Are you coming in from 90 (toll road) or 94 (highway)?

• Re: Coming from Toledo On St. Pat's Day, want to park and ride

by Lalalang123 Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 4:57 AM

90 toll road and now we are considering Dune Park so we do less driving. We are not staying overnight.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines