Chicago Travel Answers

change location
toemayn's Profile Photo

Chicago VT Meet

by toemayn Online Now Mar 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I've located an apartment on S. Wells St just south of W. Polk St I'm interested in renting at the time of the meet. I'm interested what a Chicagoan thinks about this area.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: Chicago VT Meet

by Dabs Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Wells and Polk looks to be where River City is located, a failed development in the south loop that was supposed to be a multi building development but stopped at one when there was no demand to live in the area. I wouldn't say it was a bad area but it is a bit isolated and you'd need to exercise a little caution when returning to the building esp. if late at night when there will be no foot traffic at all. I don't think there is much in the area in terms of restaurants, bars and shopping although the area to the south along Roosevelt Road is developing and Printers Row is over a few blocks to the east. Would I stay there? Hmm, probably not if I could find something closer to Michigan Avenue for roughly the same price. But if I did I would take a cab back at night.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sharonov's Profile Photo

Re: Chicago VT Meet

by Sharonov Online Now Mar 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Dabs is right on. I live in the South Loop and the River City area is a pain to get to and from. It is indeed isolated, though a couple of buildings nearby have gone condo making the isolation less than total. Are you renting this through VRBO? If the price is right I'd go for it, but only if you take cabs at night and don't mind walking a bit to everything during the day. It was built on the "other" side of the train tracks, so most of the streets with restaurants and coffee shops must be accessed indirectly, adding several blocks to the walk or drive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines