Chicago Travel Answers

change location
MSLIV's Profile Photo

Day travels

by MSLIV Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

My brotherI will be coming in from Norway to spend 10 days in Chicago area. He is here for a wedding, but would love some suggestions as to what to do and see. Plus will have a car, so going to another interesting place will be no problem. Hope you can be kind enough to give him some suggestions.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: Day travels

by Dabs Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

What time of year is he coming here? That will make a big difference as to the suggestions

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Well there's so much to do and see in that big city! How about the Science Musuem. I'd definately recomend the U-boat 505 tour, although perhaps a sensitive suggestion it really is a quality display. There is also the usual science museum objects and a California Zephyr train. The Monadnock building, Hancock Tower and Sears Tower. A ride on the L. The Auditorium Building is a superb example of Chicago style and the restoration work is far superior to most building restoration in Europe. (You even have the correct type of light bulbs!), so if a tour or a performance are possible that could be a treat.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Dabs and I both live in the Chicago area and as Dabs (Kristi) mentioned a lot of what can and should be done will be the time of year he will be here. Another question I would have is where is he going to be staying? If he is staying the city of Chicago proper having a car will be expensive if he needs to park it somewhere. If he is staying somewhere in the surrounding areas he will need to know something about driving in the area. Also, what are his interests. Museums, outdoors, sporting activities, etc. Let us know and Dabs and I can give you plenty of suggestions.

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

by xoxoxenophile Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The top of the John Hancock building has some beautiful views of the city! The Field Museum is a pretty famous Natural History Museum there, and make sure you try Chicago-style pizza--we ate at Lou Malnati's and it was delicious! Happy travels. :)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

by yooperprof Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Chicago's theatre scene and its restaurant are truly amazing. "The Book of Mormon" has settled in for an extended run at the Bank of America Theatre in the Loop. Steppenwolf, Goodman, and Chicago Shakespeare are three of the best professional theatre companies in the city - and there are plenty more. Visitors to Chicago should check out some of the great restaurants in the city - not just downtown but in the neighborhoods as well (since your brother will have a car getting around the city will be easier.) I know that restaurants are expensive in Norway, so the affordability of food in Chicago is a great attraction.)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines