Chester Travel Answers

change location
prisoner's Profile Photo

Good pub guide

by prisoner Online Now Mar 30, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Greetings fellow travellers. There are 12 adults all planing to meet for a weekend in Chester. We are a varied bunch, so specific places are out. (I'm a rock fan, but if we went to a rock pub, 11 of our group would be unhappy). We are there Friday & Saturday in late April. Where should we drink? and where should we avoid? Accomodation is sorted in the CH2 area and we'll be walking.(or staggering if you catch me driff)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

RE: Good pub guide

by Deus_ultima Online Now Mar 30, 2005 at 12:32 PM

I like the Slug and Lettuce.

The Watergates (Old roman thing, cool atmosphere) and the Bar Lounge are just next to each other and both are really cool.

But at both places you should dress fairly smart and make sure your able to get out standing rather than crawling..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Good pub guide

by Ritchie_Lionheart Online Now Mar 30, 2005 at 5:34 PM

Hello Ioan,

What exactly do you mean in Britain when refering to "dressing fairly smart". Brits in general are not known to be very elegantly dressed, unlike Italians, French or Spanish to name some examples.I also found this request for formal dress - no jeans please - on Newcastle parties and night clubs. But whenever I found pictures of these places, most of the (male) guests seemed to be in jeans and T-shirts, certianly not in suit and tie. Thanks for your help.
    Richard

• prisoner's Profile Photo

by prisoner Online Now Mar 31, 2005 at 9:10 AM

Thanx Deus, This thing washes off when I'm not at a festival, and my hair has grown to a full 4mm now. Yeah, we'll behave ourselves. Two ladies are flying over from Norway and Alex & I are from Manchester. Best behavior all round :o)

• prisoner's Profile Photo

by prisoner Online Now Mar 31, 2005 at 9:25 AM

Hi Ritchie, Not wearing jeans like mine I bet!! I know what you mean tho. Most of my jeans go all the way down to the top of my 17 hole cherry red Doc Martin boots. I'll dress smart on this weekend. You probably wouldn't even recognise me.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

RE: Good pub guide

by Rachael71 Online Now Apr 2, 2005 at 12:02 AM

Try The Old Boot on Eastgate Street - it's on the upper row on the right hand side as you walk from the clock on the bridge towards the market crosses. It's a more traditional pub (no slot machines, no karaoke etc.), the beer is reasonably priced and the food isn't bad either. It's quite interesting inside too, with one of the walls stripped back to reveal part of the original wattle and daub.

I'd avoid Brannigans myself (beyond the clock in the opposite direction), which is a music bar - very loud and packed and not a place you'd go if you're wanting to catch up with people for a chat (because you won't be able to hear them!)

Have a good time!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines