Chernivtsi Travel Answers

change location
Tazidan's Profile Photo

In need for transportation from Romania to Chernivtsi and back

by Tazidan Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 8:48 AM

How to get from Piatra Neamt area (or Bacau/Suceava) in Romania to Chernivtsi and then back again? Seems there are no car rental agencies in Romania that would allow crossing the border. What other options there are, bus, train, what? And how much time one should reserve..

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Marywhotravels's Profile Photo

Re: In need for transportation from Romania to Chernivtsi and back

by Marywhotravels Online Now Apr 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM

There is a train once a day between Suceava and Chernivtsi (leaves Suc. 13:36, arrives Chern. 18:16 / on the way back, leaves Chern. 07:04, arrives Chern. 12:15). When I travelled from Suceava to Chernivtsi, I had missed the train, so I took a "mini-bus." There are official scheduled buses, but there are also informal mini-buses in a parking lot across the street from the bus station. Ukrainian drivers just look for however many people they can find who need to get to Ukraine, you haggle over the price (I paid5), and then head out when the van is sufficiently full. This can be confusing if you don't speak Ukrainian, Russian, or Romanian, but it's also very fast. It only a few hours, and the driver even handed us off to a friend of his with a car who then dropped us off right in front of our hotel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chernivtsi