Cherbourg Travel Answers

change location

Cherbourg Rennes

by mouet Online Now Oct 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I would like to travel between Cherbourg and Rennes on Thursday and would like to know the best/quickest route. My final destination will be Pontivy, so even better if anyone knows of a more direct route there.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Cherbourg Rennes

by leics Online Now Oct 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Train is likely to be quickest.

voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai...

will give you train times, details and fares in French..but it is easy to work out. Do not use the English version, as it will take you to Raileurope which is a ticketing agency charging commission on fares and not listing all departures.

Journey time is just under 4 hours, with one change. One-way fare is 35.20 euro.

Cherbourg > Pontivy takes considerably longer, I'm afraid, at 7+ hours (there is a lot of waiting time involved between changes). There are only a few feasible connecting trains per day, it seems....you may need to explore the site more thoroughly to see if there are other, better, options.

One-way fare is 49.80 euro.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Cherbourg Rennes

by cubsur Online Now Oct 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM

The Rennes - Pontivy leg of the journey is by bus - the railway line was closed long ago and SNCF runs buses instead of trains. But as the buses are pretending to be trains, you should be able to buy a ticket all the way through.

It's an journey of 1hr 50 minutes.

Printable Rennnes - Pontivy timetable is here

telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...

Note that on Sundays there is only one journey.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines