Cherbourg Travel Answers

change location

Working in cherbourg

by jonestd Online Now Sep 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I will be working in Cherbourg from the end of Sept 2010 to Dec 2010.
I am thinking of renting a house in Barneville Cabernet the 3 months.
It looks a nice area and I think it is only a 30 minute drive from Barneville to Cherbourg every morning.

Any views anybody?

thanks
jonestd

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Working in cherbourg

by ranger49 Online Now Sep 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM

It is a nice enough area but depending where in Cherbourg you will be working it might be a longer journey than 30 minutes. Traffic can get very congested on the approach into the city specially if your place of work is anywhere near the Port area ( inspite of the newish road system !)..

Have you considered the St Vaast La-Hougue, Barfleur, Gatteville-le-Phare area to the east of Cherbourg? We have found that a quieter, smoother run when heading for an early morning ferry.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Working in cherbourg

by jonestd Online Now Sep 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Ranger 49, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
    Yes I will be near the port on Rue de la Bretonniere opposite the ferry terminal so I assume that's the more congested area you mention.

I found the house on one of the summer lets web sites as in the winter the properties are empty.

If you know any companies who deal with short term lets in the areas you mentioned i would be very grateful

thank you

jonestd

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Working in cherbourg

by ranger49 Online Now Sep 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Hello again - actually some of the congestion builds up near "out of town" shopping sites and in the suburbs as well as in the centre itself. The road to the ferry terminal was not too bad last time we used it - it was getting out of the port that took time!
    We rent holiday houses regularly in France setting of on Monday and will be staying first in a house I booked through homelidays.co.uk. This one is French owned and the owner was very obliging about a four night let. We then move on to an English owned house booked through holidayrentals.com. Actually a lot of sites seem to have amalgamated into homeaway.com
    Ownersdirect.com is another we have used.

We have never had any problems using any of these sites and we like dealing directly with the owner when you get to the enquiry/booking stage. I guess there should be quite a few long lets available in the m onths you will be there.

We are sailing via Ouistrham/Caen this time - otherwise I could have given you an update on the Cherbourg traffic.
    Best of luck and enjoy your stay in France.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines