Cherbourg Travel Answers

change location

Trevel between Cherbourg and Rennes using public transport

by hunch Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I'm looking at how to travel between Rennes and Cherbourg using public transport. I've looked in to the train and it seems very complex (using TGV and ten 3.5 hours + ). Are there any ways to use buses? I've got to do this two weekends running so I'm keen to find an easy method!

thanks

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Trevel between Cherbourg and Rennes using public transport

by pfsmalo Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Going by train is most certainly the easiest, just one change in Lison.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by pfsmalo Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Going by train is most certainly the easiest, just one change in Lison. It is only TER trains not TGV.

• Re: Trevel between Cherbourg and Rennes using public transport

by K_V_B Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Timetable for Cherbourg - Rennes is here:
    telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...
    (You might have to cut and paste this url together...)
    Not a lot of options, as this is France and you're trying to use public transport to get from "somewhere not Paris" to "somewhere else not Paris".

by K_V_B Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Timetable for Cherbourg - Rennes is here:
    (You might have to cut and paste this url together...)
    Not a lot of options, as this is France and you're trying to use public transport to get from "somewhere not Paris" to "somewhere else not Paris".

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM

There are certainly no direct buses.

I see the afternoon trains involve over an hour's wait in Lison, which didn't seem an exciting place when I passed through years ago.

Had a prowl around the departmental bus websites.

There's a bus from Rennes to Pontorson at 1130 getting there at 1302 but no train connection to Cherbourg on Saturdays. There are no buses on Saturdays after 0805am from Pontorson in the general direction of Cherbourg.

Just to add fun to whatever train options there might be, there is major modernisation work taking place between Cherbourg and Caen, including complete closure of the line Lison - Cherbourg from 23 - 27 August

Sounds like a journey that will not be made!

by pfsmalo Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Yes cubsur, without a car you can have great fun trying to travel from A to B at specific times of the day in our neck of the woods.

by hunch Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Thanks for all the comments! Looks like it will have to be the train. that's saved me sending any more hours investigating buses.

Unfortunately, I'll have to make the trip. i'm in Brittany (Mauron) on hols with the family for all of August and now have to return to the UK for the first 2 weeks whilst leaving the car in France with the family. I'm doing two weekend trips (Friday night and Sunday night sleeper ferries) which sort of forced my hand on which ports i could use.

Luckly my last trip back into france on foot will be before the they shut the train line down.

Only in France would they shut down the one public transport link in the peak holidays.

by pfsmalo Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Might be easier doing Rennes - Caen. Brittany Ferries have night boats from Caen.

by hunch Online Now Aug 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Hmm, now if I had seen the Portsmouth - Caen I might have gone for it!

Anyway, I did this trip for real last weekend. i drove to Rennes and picked up the train. I have to say it was a very pleasant trip! The Rennes to Lison leg was very pretty and relaxing, although when I got off the train at Lison i was concerned. It felt like a small village in the middle of no where. Not a place an intercity train would stop at! However it all went smoothly and I arrived at cherbourg promptly. I expected all the people getting off the train with back packs to be heading to the ferry so following them turned out to be a bad move! It was the first time I've used cherbourg and was surprised how quiet the ferry was. There were only 17 foot passengers! Brittany Ferries were brilliant. They upgraded me from a shared 4 berth internal cabin to a personal 4 berth external cabin. All in all a lovely trip home - mind you, a lot of that might have been down to the fact I didn't have my 4 young kids in tow....

Off to do the same thing again this weekend!

Thanks for all the inputs.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines