Cherbourg Travel Answers

change location

First time going to Cherbourg shopping and need some help please

by kath_n_keith Online Now Apr 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Hi

I am new to the forum and need some valued help please.

I have never been out of Britain so I have no idea what to do etc when I go on my shopping trip to Cherbourg.

I am actually going to buy some wine and tobacco. I have looked around on the net and see that as far as tobacco is concerned I am allowed to legally bring back 3kg. When I go, I will be a foot passenger on the ferry as I don't drive so I am wondering firstly if anyone knows if there are any wine and tobacco hypermarkets very close to the port and secondly, how much will I pay for a good wine (any pointers greatfully accepted) and how much will I pay for a 50g packet of golden virginia?

Hoping someone can help

Thanks a lot and take care all

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: First time going to Cherbourg shopping and need some help please

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM

I don't want to put you off but do you realise how much 6 bottles of wine weighs ? To make it worth your while you really need to buy at least 4 cartons and without a car......That makes it it about 25/30 kilos plus the tobacco.Even without considering the size of 4 cartons of wine, can you carry that weight for a long period ?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: First time going to Cherbourg shopping and need some help please

by kath_n_keith Online Now Apr 13, 2008 at 6:24 AM

I didn't actually think on that and yep you are right nice wine would be too heavy to carry back but I still might buy a bottle or two.

What about tobacco shops? I have been told that the local tabac shops are actually cheaper for tobacco than the hypermarkets. How much will I pay for 50g of golden virginia and am I right in thinking that I am allowed to bring back 3kg?

Thanks

kathy

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 13, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Hi again,
    Generally speaking tobacco has fixed prices in France although you may find a couple of cents difference. Not sure about prices as I don't smoke.
    I had a look at the UK customs allowances and it says "May bring in any amount as long as it is for personal use". Further says "A person may be stopped by a customs officer and asked questions if he is carrying more than - 3200 cigarettes etc etc and more than 3 kg of tobacco". Further says " If customs believe this amount is for commercial purposes, goods will be seized etc etc".
    Hope this helps.

• Kennymac's Profile Photo

by Kennymac Online Now May 31, 2008 at 5:25 AM

the cheapest place to buy tobbacco is at the bar on the ferry,you are only supposed to be able to buy one packet but if your cleaver and you have a few friends with you,you should be able to get a few more than one All the best Kenny mac

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines