Cherbourg Travel Answers

change location
Adam98's Profile Photo

What is there to do in Cherbourg???

by Adam98 Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 1:59 AM

My father wouyld like to go to Cherourg with me on a 'Father Son Bonding Vacation'!Silly I know! But what is there in Cherbourg because neither of us have been there before?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • yderi's Profile Photo

RE: What is there to do in Cherbourg???

by yderi Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 6:32 AM

If you can read or interpret French and look at this web-site: http://www.ot-cherbourg-cotentin.fr/
    Plenty to keep you both busy - failing that there are plenty of good restaurants and bars!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PaulKirk's Profile Photo

RE: What is there to do in Cherbourg???

by PaulKirk Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 4:40 PM

It's a port and a lot better than Dudley Port! it's still a port but not where I would choose. Seriously if you want a few days in that area with your dad try Ouistrehem/Caen as the ferry destination. It's only a few miles from the British D-Day landing area and more of a holiday area than Cherbourg. Pegasus bridge is where our boys landed first and there's a small museum. Arromanches and the remains of the Mulberry Harbour are worth seeing as is the American cemetery at Colville. If yo take the car there are plenty of things linked with D-Day so go for it.

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Re: What is there to do in Cherbourg???

by darkjedi Online Now Apr 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM

A 20 minute walk from the ferry terminal will take you to Cite de la Mar, an aquarium complex which houses the French Nuclear Missile Submarine le Redoubtable which you can walk under (its in drydock) and board for a tour inside. Its longer than the Eifel tower is tall and is incredible.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines