Chennai (Madras) Travel Answers

change location
marieana's Profile Photo

travelling from chennai to pondicherry, via mama by bus+car/driver

by marieana Online Now Feb 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM

hi hi
i want to know if it's possible to travel from chennai to mama, visit some sites and then take a bus to go to pondicherry, the same day.
So I imagine it like this, take bus from chennai to mama at 8 am, reach there by 9.30, visit mainly dakshina chitra+five rathas (on foot is that possible, are they close?) then catch a bus to pondi ( wouldn't it be full?)
What would be cost if anyone has done that trip?

BTW, i would also like to know if you know any agent that would rent a car+driver from chennai to madurai at the cheapest price ever, at least at Rs 10000, is that possible, less than that, can it be?
cheers

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • suru's Profile Photo

Re: travelling from chennai to pondicherry, via mama by bus+car/driver

by suru Online Now Feb 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Ofcourse you can cover D/Chitra, and five rathas and reach Pondi on the same day but it depends on how much time you will take at each place.
    Example it takes about one hour to go aroumd D/chitra. You need to go round D/chitra only on foot.Location of five rathas is very far from D/chitra. So you need to take a bus ( there is a hopon -hop off bus service too)from Chennai to D/chitra whch is on the way to Mamallapuram. There are lots of buses at frequent intervals from Mamallapuram to Pondicherry.Even if on bus is full, you can wait for another which you will get in 10-15mnts time( so don't worry bout that).
    A direct bus from Chennai to Pondi ia about 45 rupees. May be a bit more if you break your journey at above two places.

When you stay in Chennai, you can negotiate with a taxi/car driver about the charges to Madurai. Why don't you take a train?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines