Chennai (Madras) Travel Answers

change location
thamnaga's Profile Photo

Guide

by thamnaga Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hi,

Im planning to come to Chennai next month. Since it is my first visit i need a travel guide just for 2days.First day to few of the temples in Chennai and the second day to the shopping places. Could u advice me on how to go about it?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Guide

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Hi - your hotel can arrange one for you. Be clear if you just want a driver or someone who can be your guide as well. Enjoy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

For the second day you don't need a guide, just a driver as long as you have an idea where you want to shop (hotel can recommend if you don't know).

• thamnaga's Profile Photo

by thamnaga Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Donna thanks alot. It would be realy helpful! I know to which places i want to go. So most probably i will need just a driver. Thanks again donna.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Enjoy Chennai!

• mehulraj's Profile Photo

by mehulraj Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

As advised by Donna its better to ask for hotel people to arrange tour guide with taxi for you..I did not find any reliable tour operator in chennai so far.. for the first day you can visit "Kapaleeswarar Temple" which is in mylapore area then in the same area you can visit "Ram krishna math" and then "Vadapalani temple" for shopping there are lots of option available in chennai..I suggest you should visit "Spencer Plaza" and "Express avenue" shopping mall.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I'd recommend spending a day at Kanchipuram (the city of a thousand temples). It's not far from Chennai - make sure you leave early since the temples close at noon for a few hours.

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

1. By March, Chennai will start getting hot.

2. For a list of temples in Chennai, you could check out this link:

chennai.org.uk/religious-pla...

3. For shopping areas, try out this link, especially 'Nallis' for sarees.

cntraveller.in/content/city-...

4. Don't forget the beach area for a beautiful early morning or late evening (6-8 pm) walk.

• Re: Guide

by n_83 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Few tips here - if you are going to temples, you will have to space them early in the morning or later in the evening. Temples are traditionally closed in India in the afternoon (timings differ according to the temple) and you may be able to get some shopping/sigh seeing done in the afternoon. Also, regarding a guide - the taxi driver may be able to do a good job. Talk to your hotel and let them find you a driver who speaks English. Also, I think you need one both days - you do need someone who can tell you about the cultural/religious significance of things in temples. Also in India, there is a story for everything - the story in itself may not be verifiable, but it does make for some interesting/entertaining times!! Also about where and what to shop - talk to the localites, the receptionist. Hope this helps!!

• Shontal's Profile Photo

by Shontal Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Let us know your interests...
    If Architecture: Visit the world heritage sites Mahabalipuram & Kailasanathar Shrine in Kanchipuram (There are umpteen places that are more than 500 years old in and around Chennai)
    The few centuries old San Thome Basilica; St Andrews Church (behind Egmore Station) are amazing as well.
    The Egmore Museum is another place has amazing collection of bronze items and Natural history specimens
    The Crocodile Bank (for reptiles) and Vandaloor Zoo (wildlife) are amazing places...
    For Shopping the Phoenix Mall @ Velacherry, Escape Avenue (Royapetta) and many more are there...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines