Chefchaouene Travel Answers

change location
jettsetting's Profile Photo

... Tangier > Chefchaouen > Tangier ... in 1 DAY ...

by jettsetting Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I am joining a Morocco Tour and was able to squeeze in 1 extra day to visit Chefchaouen. We arrive in Tangier @ 10:30pm (at night) and leave for Chefchaouen the next morning. I have only 1 day to travel in + out + explore Chefchaouen. Would be happy to just explore the Medina!

I see a LOT of information for getting FROM Tangier TO Chefchaouen. But having some trouble finding transportation options FROM Chefchaouen TO Tangier.

Q1. What time does the CTM bus depart from Chefchaouen TO Tangier?

Q2. I can not seem to access the CTM website. How / where can I book CTM bus seats in advance?

Q3. Can purchase tickets from Tangier TO Chefchaouen (and vice versa) from ANYWHERE in Morocco?
Ex. while I am in Casablanca or Marrakech - purchase round-trip tickets FOR Tangier > Chefchaouen > Tangier.

Q4. In case I miss the bus, can I hire a taxi from Chefchaouen TO Tangier? And where / how can I do this? Is there a place / station/ road I can grab a taxi?

Q5. I read somewhere that Sundays are extremely quiet in Chefchaouen b/c shops are closed on Sunday? Is that true? Unfortunately, I can only visit Chefchaouen on a Sunday before flying out.

Q6. Other transportation opinions FROM Chefchaouen TO Tangier is greatly appreciated!

Please help! Please + Thank You!!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: ... Tangier > Chefchaouen > Tangier ... in 1 DAY ...

by angiebabe Online Now Apr 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM

hi, there are local buses and grande taxis all travelling between these destinations - you do not need to rely on CTM and the times Ive travelled without own personal car Ive used local buses or grande taxis - just as the locals do - there are frequent through the day as in maybe hourly to 2nd hourly but grande taxis go as soon as they are full - better to buy 2 seats anyway for comfort and for better viewing esp try to get the front 2 seats so you can see and take photos.
    sometimes the driver takes hold of the window winders in the back seat so you cant wind the windows up and down of your own accord.
    Sundays as busy esp in the summer as locals travel around a lot too - and the beach near Tetouan on the way to Chefchaouen is popular so public transport is in demand in these routes from tangier.
    I have a few tips in my Asilah page about getting to Chefchaouen and Tetouan from Tangier - and maybe in my Tangier page.
    it is a bit of a rush for you but you could do it - I would rely on going from Tangier by grande taxi though - you will probably have to change at Tetouan to another taxi but maybe not - thats Morocco see what happens. the local buses and grande taxis go from the same bus and grande taxi station - its not the CTM station though - in Tangier.
    and stop at Tetouan where there is a big bus station - baggage storage is upstairs at the top ground level entrance - worth seeing Tetouan for an hour or so if you have time - esp the archeology musuem thats there with its ancient and special drawcard of the 3 muses mosaic from the roman ruins of Lixus.

angela

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jettsetting's Profile Photo

by jettsetting Online Now Apr 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Thanks so much, Angela! Very informative! So getting back from Chefchaouen to Tangier by grande taxi is not a problem either? Any time taxis stop taking people from Chefchaouen? We probably want to leave Chefchaouen by 8:00pm (20:00h).

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Apr 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM

hi thanks for the thanks and youre welcome, grande taxis do keep running til late but it depends on the demand and anything else happening - you might just need to talk to them when you arrive in Chefchouen and ask or tee a driver up to take you - only that gives an opportunist more leverage. you might have to buy all the seats and even then have to negotiate what he will say is his chances to get fares coming back or if he would expect you to pay for his seats back at that time of night - less of a problem if you take taxi from chefchaouen to Tetouan and then another taxi from there to Tangier - so maybe if you get the chance suss out how things are when youre in Tetouan.
    but from experience there are unscrupulous ones that will offer stupid prices like 1000 dirham just one way from eg Tetouan to Tangier.

it might be best for you to find out the time of the last bus and rely on going on that. or second to last bus or whatever.
    but those 2 options grande taxi and bus should leave you safe enough to get back to Tangier

• jettsetting's Profile Photo

by jettsetting Online Now Apr 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM

You're an angel, Angela!!! Hahaha ... good karma is definitely keeping an eye on you! :)

• Re: ... Tangier > Chefchaouen > Tangier ... in 1 DAY ...

by farhi Online Now Nov 21, 2011 at 5:39 AM

WelL.. I'm FARHI , and I live in chefchaouen (i was born here 1990).. And my mother has an Hotel called Maison El Bakkali (it is amzing) in old medina ! and what it is make me wondering is the date hahah i mean 20 April : it's time Coachella Festival in CA lol so what r u doing here ? :D you can get this phone number if any of you would like to visit us someday +212539987420 !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chefchaouene