Chefchaouene Travel Answers

change location

What the risk in catching hep A on a 5 day trip?

by M&P Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM

I read that vaccination is recommended-but it would be nice not to bother-what is the chance of catching hep A 5 day stay in Chefchaouen?
Thanks Mandy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: What the risk in catching hep A on a 5 day trip?

by leics Online Now Aug 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM

The chances of catching Hep A are nothing whatever to do with how long you stay somewhere (as with any other disease).

Hepatitis A is most commonly transmitted by infected food or water. You will have no knowledge of whether or not the person preparing any of the food you eat has the disease and/or poor personal hygiene. They may, they may not. Some countries have a higher incidence of Hep A, which obviously makes the possibility of you being infected higher: that's why the innoculation is recommended.

It is your choice as to whether you have the recommedaed innoculation or risk infection: it cannot be anyone else's. You should be guided by your own doctor's advice rather than by internet posts.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 15, 2008 at 2:09 AM

You can be infected during the first hour of your stay - or not at all if you stay there for a year.

• Re: What the risk in catching hep A on a 5 day trip?

by M&P Online Now Aug 16, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Thanks for your answers. Will probably have the vaccine!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Aug 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I recommend it for anyone who travels - I originally had the shots because I was going to China but I get my titres checked because as a nurse and as a frequent traveller I think it is such a small price and procedure to protect from such serious consequences that can be as a result of picking up Hep A.

A well publicized case in Sydney not long before I came over to the UK was with a nurse, who I have met, who contracted Hep A from eating contaminated seafood in a restaurant in Sydney - not good publicity at all but a rare case with drastic consequences - she had to have a liver transplant and luckily it was provided for her and all went well.

So in my thinking its well worth having the protection for wherever you are for however long.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chefchaouene