Chavín de Huantar Travel Answers

change location
halfromnm's Profile Photo

Wheelchair accessible Chavin?

by halfromnm Online Now Sep 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Greetings! My wife and I will be visiting Peru in early October, and it is her wish to visit Chavin de Huantar. The complicating issue is my confinement to a wheelchair since having two major sugeries last year. Would it be possible to hire a taxi to take us to Chavin de Huantar? Are there any wheelchair accessible hotels and restaurants?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • lescarleth's Profile Photo

Re: Wheelchair accessible Chavin?

by lescarleth Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 4:08 PM

It seems that its trip already planning had gutado me to be able to help it if I did not even travel gustaria who contacts to my mail lescarleth@hotmail.com greetings from Huaraz a friend to serve them.

Escarlet

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • halfromnm's Profile Photo

Re: Wheelchair accessible Chavin?

by halfromnm Online Now Dec 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

We did make it to Chavin de Huantar with Apumayo Expediciones, who arranged for our van to Huaraz and our guides and drivers and accomodations. We stayed at Hotel el Patio del Monterrey, and whereas there were steps, the staff were happy to help carry us down. They said they may install a ramp in the future. The bathroom doors were a little narrow, but I was able to stand and take a few steps, then have my wife fold the chair and bring it in. The springtime gardens were lovely, the food was great and the people were friendly. We had a great time in Peru! Although we spent more than we had initially planned, we had a wonderful trip! How amazing it is that it's possible to go to one of the most vertically challenging countries on Earth in a wheelchair and see many of the archaeological sites, enjoy some wonderful food, and meet some great people.

My wife said the Spanish accents sounded more Italian in the South of Peru and more Portuguese in the North, to her, and she wondered if that had to do with the relative proximities of Argentina and Brazil. Luckily for me, I had my wife conduct the business negotiations and her Spanish skills seemed great to me, although she said she wished she had brushed up a little more before leaving home. For example, she wanted to buy some local indigenous fabrics in the north, and ended up asking a cab driver to take us to a store to buy fabrics. She couldn't remember how to say "textiles" and asked for "fabricas." After some consideration, she recalled that "fabricas" means "factories," not "fabrics!" We're intellectuals, not industrialists, and are not nearly wealthy enough to buy factories!

Apart from some minor confusing situations, we completely fell in love with this beautiful country and its people! Thank you, Peru!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chavín de Huantar