Chattanooga Travel Answers

change location
filipdebont's Profile Photo

Combining tourist attractions lookout mountain

by filipdebont Online Now Mar 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I am planning to visit Chattanooga during my next US road trip along the music cities. my question is : what is the best way to combine the incline rail road, ruby falls and rock city? Do I need to drive with my car to each attraction, or can they be combined (like parking at one spot, take the train up and then walk to the other ?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Combining tourist attractions lookout mountain

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Sounds like an interesting trip you have planned in July/August. I know quite a bit about Atlanta and Memphis but unfortunately have only passed through Chattanooga and went up to the top of Lookout Mountain. We parked there and I know I saw signs about Ruby Falls and Rock City but really don't remember where they are located.

If you don't get any other responses through this forum, I'll try to do a little research also and try to help you.

Be prepared for hot and humid weather in July/August.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Ruby Falls and Rock City are, unfortunately, several miles from one another. Rock City is actually in Georgia. The scenic railroad's top point is roughly between the two. Not really set up for walking though. The road is very, very narrow and has a lot of traffic.

The low point for the railroad is St. Elmo, which is a really cute little area with a few restaurants and shops. You could walk around there before or after taking the train. And Chattanooga's Downtown is pretty walkable. Certainly don't do the Lookout Mountain attractions only and then leave, because you'll miss a lot of the city. At the least, you should visit the Chattanooga Choo-Choo (which is why, I assume, you're stopping in Chattanooga) and the Walnut Street Bridge. There's a circular trolley in Downtown Chattanooga that I believe is free and operates most days. That goes between the Choo-Choo and the rest of the Downtown area, which is a little bit of a hike.

Hope that helps.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

by filipdebont Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Thanks for the reply

now it's a bit easier to prepare my trip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines