Chattanooga Travel Answers

change location

what neighborhood?

by muffintop Online Now Dec 14, 2005 at 9:27 AM

Hi! I'm thinking about moving to your fine city. Can you help me with choosing neighborhoods, perhaps by zip code? We have 2 small kids and thus want a yard. I like older houses, say, anywhere from 100 years old to 50 years old. I like to be within walking distance to coffeeshops, cafes. If there is a "revitalized" downtown area, that'd be great. Basically I like to be near people and "things", yet still have a yard and kid-friendly neighborhood. If anyone knows of zip codes that fit this, OR can give me an address of a coffeeshop/bookstore/cafe/etc that has cute old houses nearby (but isn't run-down), that will help my search on realtor.com Thank you!!!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: what neighborhood?

by kiki13 Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 6:05 AM

hope this gets to you...although kinda late.

I used to live in Midtown Memphis..in the 38107 zip district next to Rhodes University & 3 blocks from the Zoo. Nothing was really within walking distance, but by car and within 2-5 minutes, there was. Almost all the homes in midtown are very old, with the exception of a few large new ones built on plots. Loved growing up in that area.

If your wanting to be within walking distance to shops food etc. then I would say the midtown area around Overton Square area might work (if you can find a home to your liking in that area). http://www.overtonsquare.com/,
    The zip area is 38104.

Central gardens in midtown is where my aunt & uncle still live. Georgeous huge older homes!

Another option is Chickasaw Gardens in the East Mem area just outside midtown. Some beautiful old homes tucked away from a main street. Pink Palace,shopping & lots of restaurants close by.
    http://www.memphismuseums.org/

Check out this link memphisnewsbureau.org/about/...

Read the "Midtown" section.

Hope this helps a little.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: what neighborhood?

by kiki13 Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 6:08 AM

doh!...you said Chattanooga...sorry my bad.

• anderschwan's Profile Photo

RE: what neighborhood?

by anderschwan Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 2:53 AM

This is probably way too late, but it's been a while since I logged on.
    The best neighborhood for cute, funky, older-type bungalows with stuff to do is North Chattanooga, area code 37405. There is also a cute Victorian area called St Elmo that has undergone major transformation and is on the South Side of the city at the foot of Lookout Mountain. That area code is 37409. Another possibility is Red Bank, area code 37415, which is where I live. There is a mix of 20's and 30's style homes and 70's apartments. Hope it helps, but you probably already live here now! Welcome to Chatt!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines