Chattanooga Travel Answers

change location

Moving in the future

by ftlmom Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thinking of moving here in a couple of years once the kids are in college. Burned out on the high cost of South Florida and crowds! Once a beautiful place to live. It's a difficult decision because we're not retiring. Late 40's. My husband has connection to possible position at VW. However, our family has property near Knox AND near Ashville, NC. We both have B.S. degree, like outdoor activity. We have been to the Ocoee and other sites. I hate to mention but saw an article; "if you like chiggars, ticks, red necks than Chatt is the place." We did not find that to be true on our trips and loved the downtown area. It seemed very progressive, business oriented. Of course we understand it is a slower pace from Fort. Laud. Also, can someone tell us about UTC which we hear is good vs. UT, Knox? I would like our youngest to attend but hear UT is massive. However, UTC may be a commuter school? Also hear the town Cleveland is nice. We like NC but colder/ice and we feel housing is more expensive in areas such as Chapel Hill, Raleigh. Thanks for all your advice!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Moving in the future

by goodfish Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Hi and welcome to Virtual Tourist.

Most of the questions we answer have to do with travel rather than relocating: the two are very different things. But I hope you hear from some of our members who live in that area.

If you don't, City-Data.com is a great resource for people looking to relocate within the U.S. You can find all sorts of information, and it has free forums just like ours for chatting with the locals or people whom have lived in a place you're interested in. Here's the link for the Chattanooga forum:

city-data.com/forum/chattano...

Good luck with your search!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Moving in the future

by ftlmom Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Thank you. Yes I realize, travel after I posted. I'll go to the city data.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

It was perfectly OK to ask the question here! Just wanted to give you what may be a possibly better resource for what you're looking for. :O)

• Re: Moving in the future

by alicia.l Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hi there! Chattanooga is an extremely progressive city and a wonderful place to relocate. I moved here from Chicago, IL several years ago and I have not been tempted to move away yet. There are several things that make Chattanooga a wonderful place to live.
    1. Cost of living is extremely reasonable. There are great neighborhoods to live within the city as well on the outskirts that are very reasonable priced.
    2. Chattanooga is one of the #1 places for outdoor recreation. Gorgeous mountains for rock climbing, hiking, biking, etc.
    3. Both UTC and UT are excellent schools. I've had several close friends attend UTC and have had no complaints.
    4. Chattanooga is an excellent commuter city. Because of where it lies you have easy access to Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, Atlanta, etc. so that makes it great for traveling.

The best suggestion is to take a visit and truly explore the city as a possible resident. Contact a local real estate agent so show you around some of the neighborhoods. If you are looking for a reasonable hotel during your visit be sure to check out Holiday Inn Express Chattanooga East Ridge, Holiday Inn Express Chattanooga Lookout Mountain, Best Western Plus Arbour Inn & Suites, Best Western Royal Inn Chattanooga, or Motel 6 Camp Jordan. I personally recommend each of these hotels based on your budget for travel. I hope this helps!

1 member found this helpful

• jimwebster's Profile Photo

by jimwebster Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I'll have to put in a plug for Knoxville. I am a native of NC, but have lived in east TN for many years. You cannot beat the mountain scenery here. UT campus is large, but not humongous. The downside is that UT has tutition increases quarterly it seems. A lot is finally happening with the revitalization of downtown Knoxville. And a progressive art scene is starting to emerge. I really enjoy Knoxville and the people here. Many are migrants like myself, so you meet people from all over the USA as well as south and central America. Knoxville and Oak Ridge (nearby) have a very large professional population of people from south and central America.

I also like Asheville, which has an almost hippy scene in the downtown area. On weekends downtown locations stay open to near midnight and it is a fun gathering place just to walk around and socialize.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines