Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Answers

change location

which side is better

by saxzohar Online Now May 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I would like to hike from Chamonix to courmayeur, which direction is better, the swiss or the italian one.
I am planing first to learn the aria at june, and at july to arange group and to take them to mont blanc.

Thanks,

Zohar Sax

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • firechick's Profile Photo

Re: which side is better

by firechick Online Now May 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM

They are both very good and beautiful hikes. Pick one. I assume you mean the 'Tour du Mont Blanc' hiking trail is how you will go ? June is early and some of the huts are not even open yet - so maybe part of your decision on direction to take will be to find out which huts are open. You can find out more information about this route on many web sites such as starting with this one: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_d... and this one http://www.walkingthetmb.com/

In case you are not aware, it is illegal in France to take money from people for your services as a mountain guide (such as on Mont Blanc) unless you are an internationally (UIGMA etc.) certified mountain guide. Many people die each year on Mont Blanc, usually people without good training or preparation. Each year some 'fake guides' are arrested as well by the French mountain police (PGHM). There is a very big difference between the preparation for walking on the Tour du Mont Blanc trails, and taking people on an alpine mountain climb to the summit of Mont Blanc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chamonix-Mont-Blanc