Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Answers

change location

Transport from Bergamo to Chamonix

by macriLL Online Now Nov 20, 2005 at 12:09 PM

Hello!
We are 3 Swedish guys, who will arrive to Bergamo in Italy 2 December.
We are planning to get from there to Chamonix 3 December, but are not really sure about how. We have seen that it is possible to take the train in the early morning. Does anyone know how approximately much this would cost? (10euro or 100 euro?) Are there buses or other ways to get to Chamonix? We are students so we want to keep the cost down! Please help us!

Best regards.
Jonas

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • firechick's Profile Photo

RE: Transport from Bergamo to Chamonix

by firechick Online Now Nov 28, 2005 at 3:35 PM

I think that Bergamo is close to Milan. If you can figure out how to get to Milan, I am sure you can take trains from there. There is one that goes via Milan to Chambery to Annecy to Sallanches, and from Sallanches I know you can get to Chamonix on the train (the website won't show the whole trip if it takes more than 3 train changes). The Milan-Sallanches fare on WWW.SNCF.FR was showing as €67 so if you add on the leg to Chamonix, and if you find a train from Bergamo to Milan that cost will go up. Also be warned that the trip will be over 8 hours to get to Chamonix that way. I hope you are taking a long break in Chamonix if you have to spend so much time to get there (you can drive from Milan to Chamonix in about 4 hours!!). It might be worth looking into car hire and compare that to the train fare.

Also if you can get to Milano Porta Garibaldi, there are SAVDA buses which go to Courmayeur in about 3.5 hours each day. Courmayeur is the other side of the tunnel from Chamonix. You can then find SAVDA buses to go to Chamonix from Courmayeur (or Aosta which is on the way) as well (another 1/2 hour ride). The SAVDA site has no prices, but it will save you about 4 or 5 hours on your trip... so I would give them a call. http://www.savda.com/orari_tariffe.htm .
    You can find information on getting from the Bergamo airport to other places like Milan center on the airport website: http://www.orioaeroporto.it/

I would go for the bus option, if you can work out exactly where you need to go to catch the SAVDA bus.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chamonix-Mont-Blanc