Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Answers

change location
pcsn57's Profile Photo

Easiest way to travel from Chamonix to Florence

by pcsn57 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Me and my family are planning to spend a week in Chamonix next december (starting on DEC/21/2013).
On the DEC/28/2013 we are going to Florence, Italy. I`d like to know which is the best/easiest way to make this trip.
Train? Plane? Bus? Rental Car?

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Easiest way to travel from Chamonix to Florence

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Which is 'easiest' will depend on your preferences and your budget.

The train journey Chamonix>Florence is quite complex, involving several changes and taking from 7 hours. You can see times and details in English on the reliable:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

Geneva is the nearest airport to Chamonix (about 1.5 hours away...there are shuttle buses). You can find all carriers and usually fares for your route/dates on www.skyscanner.net (book on the airline's own website). There are direct flights Geneva>Florence operated by Darwin Airline:

www.darwinairline.com

If you hire a car you can expect to pay a premium for dropping it at a different place in a different country. You will need to check which hire companies allow this. www.viamichelin.com will give you driving route and route info. It's a journey of at least 6 hours.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Easiest way to travel from Chamonix to Florence

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Use train. Renting a car will be more expensive, and flying will not be faster if you factor in everything.
    The fastest route goes via Switzerland: Chamonix - Martigny, and then train onwards to Firenze. Should take about 7 hours, with several solutions offered throughout the day. However the timetable for December will not be online till november this year... At the moment this trip involves a part by bus, as the Chamonix - Martigny line is being renovated, but by this summer it should be train all the way again. It's a quite scenic and interesting route.
    A cheaper (but a bit more convoluted and longer ) option is to take the bus from Chamonix to Aosta and take a train from there:

sat-montblanc.com/fr/lignes_...

For trains use trenitalia.com. However, its far to early yet to book train tickets. Look again around november.

2 members found this helpful

• InBiarritz's Profile Photo

by InBiarritz Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM

You could maybe get the bus through the Mont Blanc Tunnel (link mentioned above by K_V_B) then hire a car in Courmayeur for the remainder of the journey. That way you avoid the premium for leaving a hire car in another country.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM

well easiest for me is the car, then the more likely for you in the area is the train.
    this is the French site to look for transports
    www.voyages-sncf.com
    go to train,type in Chamonix and Firenze

hope it helps

• oisha's Profile Photo

by oisha Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

InBiarritz wrote:
    You could maybe get the bus through the Mont Blanc Tunnel (link mentioned above by K_V_B) then hire a car in Courmayeur for the remainder of the journey. That way you avoid the premium for leaving a hire car in another country.

Absolutely agree! Start and finish in Italy if you prefer to hire a car.  Save the Mont-Blanc tunnel toll as well.  Only difficulty (apart from snowy driving conditions and scenery so good you could easily drive yourself right off the road) will then be finding someone to rent you a car in the Aosta Valley at that time of year without wanting your arm and leg in payment.  Depending on how many people are in your group, it could be a lot cheaper to get a bus from Chamonix all the way down to Milan for 30-40 Euros (chamonix.net/english/transpo....  Then train from Milan to Florence.  Take a peek at Milan's Duomo during your stopover.

• Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo

by Neilzonwheelz Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM

I used Savda bus company from Milano to Chamonix www.sat-montblanc.com, approx 2-3hrs from memory, From Milano you will be able to catch a direct train to Florence, approx 1.45hrs .
    It was hassle free and quick, Not sure if the Chamonix Martigny line is fixed, it was under repair last year.
    If you have time in Milano, do yourself a big favour and visit the last supper by Da Vinci, absolutely stunning and revered setting, book online to save time, i booked through www.vivaticket.it, look for Cenacolo Vinciano = Last Supper

• pcsn57's Profile Photo

by pcsn57 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM

leics wrote:Which is 'easiest' will depend on your preferences and your budget.The train journey Chamonix>Florence is quite complex, involving several changes and taking from 7 hours. You can see times and details in English on the reliable:bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/... is the nearest airport to Chamonix (about 1.5 hours away...there are shuttle buses). You can find all carriers and usually fares for your route/dates on www.skyscanner.net (book on the airline's own website). There are direct flights Geneva>Florence operated by Darwin Airline:www.darwinairline.comIf you hire a car you can expect to pay a premium for dropping it at a different place in a different country. You will need to check which hire companies allow this. www.viamichelin.com will give you driving route and route info. It's a journey of at least 6 hours.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• pcsn57's Profile Photo

by pcsn57 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Hi,
    After reading your answer I've decided to go by plane, and have already booked a Lufthansa flight.
    Thanks,

Pedro

• pcsn57's Profile Photo

by pcsn57 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Hi,
    After reading your answer I've decided to go by plane, and have already booked a Lufthansa flight.
    Thanks,

Pedro

• pcsn57's Profile Photo

by pcsn57 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Thanks for your answer, but I decided to go by plane, and have already booked a flight.
    Pedro

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM

well suit the best for you, the sights are on the ground thus ::)
    cheers

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:06 AM

pcsn57 wrote:
    Hi, After reading your answer I've decided to go by plane, and have already booked a Lufthansa flight. Thanks,

Pedro

Didn't know there was an airport in Chamonix...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM

no will have to be Geneva ::)

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM

And Lufthanse doesn't fly from Geneva to Firenze. Which makes me wonder how much more complicated the OP has just made his travel...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

oh well only the OP knows, maybe ::)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Chamonix-Mont-Blanc