Central Java Province Travel Answers

change location
kroy1811's Profile Photo

Mar 23-25 : Ambarawa - Losari - Tawamangu - Salatiga - Kopeng

by kroy1811 Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Dears,

I need advice please.

The above trip is planned this Mar 23-25. We, a group of 6 pax, light budget travelers, will have Semarang as our basecamp. We'll skip major cities and planned an off-beaten path with rented car.

Please have a look and kindly advice following questions; we are passionate eaters/culinary and also photographers (so would be helpful if you can advise shooting spots :)

DAY 1 (Mar 23) :
Semarang - Ambarawa : visit the steam loco museum
Ambarawa - stop by Losari
Then off to Tawamangu - spend the night.

QUESTION:
+ do we have to prebook the steam loco ride ? and we heard we have to book the whole cabin ? is that true
+ Losari plantation is overly expensive so we will spend time to eat/coffee break.
+ any suggestion where to stay in Tawamangu ?

DAY 2 (Mar 24)
Tawamangu - to Candi Sukuh + Cetho
Then off to spend nite at Salatiga

QUESTION
+ If we stayed in Tawamangu, how long is it by car to Candi complex ? Will half day sufficient to spend our time in both candi's ?
+ Any suggestion where to stay in Salatiga ?
+ Any other suggestion what to see during this DAY 2 ?

DAY 3 (Mar 25)
we go to Kopeng direction and see Treetop outbound (?)
end the day to Semarang and go back to Jakarta

QUESTION:
+ there is limitd information about Kopeng (any recommended things to do/try asidethe outbound activities)

Thanking you all, cheers:)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • theo1006's Profile Photo

Re: Mar 23-25 : Ambarawa - Losari - Tawamangu - Salatiga - Kopeng

by theo1006 Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Hi all,
    Day 1.
    Yes, you have to pre-book the steam loco ride, and the latest price is Rp 7,500,000! The two carriages accommodate 80 people - I think it is too expensive for just 6 people. During weekends you can ride a mini-train from Ambarawa to Tuntang - popular among locals, but not the same as the steam loco ride.
    I have no specific place to recommend at Tawangmangu. There is ample, best shop around.
    Day 2.
    Not more than an hour from Tawangmangu to Candi Sukuh, another half our to Cetho. Half a day is enough to see both (unless you go hiking on the mountainside.
    For accommodation in Salatiga and more things to do, see my Salatiga page:
    "Little town Salatiga" - Salatiga by theo1006
    Day 3.
    Apart from Treetop and climbing Merbabu mountain, there is not too much to do in Kopeng itself. You could go to the Ketep pass for viewing Merapi and the volcano museum. And I would recommend Kali Pancur waterfall, between Salatiga and Kopeng. See my Salatiga tips.
    Enjoy your trip,
    Theo

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • meiyergani's Profile Photo

Re: Mar 23-25 : Ambarawa - Losari - Tawamangu - Salatiga - Kopeng

by meiyergani Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Hi Kroy, here is some little note:

DAY 1 (Mar 23) : Semarang - Ambarawa : for loco ride AMBARAWA-TUNTANG vv ( 5KM distance)you not necessary to prebook, it cost IDR 10,000 one person, minimum 15 persons, but for loco ride AMBARAWA-BEDONO vv 9 KM in distance( 2 hours track) cost IDR 3,250,000 with capacity 40 persons, it would be better if you do prebook, here is the contact number: Musium Kereta Api Ambarawa, Jl Stasiun Ambarawa No. 1 phone +62.298.591035,the cost would be cheaper if you could share with another tourist group, museum open 08.00 AM to 05.00 PM

There are many accomodation in Tawangmangu: Pondok Indah, Pondok Asri or Bintang

DAY 2 (Mar 24) Tawamangu - to Candi Sukuh + Cetho half day tour is enough, in Jl Sudirman Salatiga there are : Beringin, Laras Asri or Grand Wahid

Semarang, Ambarawa, Salatiga and Kopeng were side by side one chain tour place and No comment for Day 3
    Semarang City Tour: Old City and Lawang Sewu and Candi Gedong Songo
    Have a nice trip to Central Java

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Central Java Province Travel Answer Locations