Central African Republic Travel Answers

change location
LH710's Profile Photo

Tour along the congo river from Kinshasa to Bangui (and further)

by LH710 Online Now May 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Hey guys,

i have a dream for a long time. i want to end to dark heart of africa. since i read a biography about thr former bokassa, the former dictator of the CAR, i want to explore the country that barely anybody has ever heard of! my plan is to start in kinshasa and take a boat all the way up till bangui and then continue by bus to cameroon.

is anybody having a same desire?
has anybody travelled that route/area before?

cheers guys and keep on moving! :)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Re: Tour along the congo river from Kinshasa to Bangui (and further)

by atufft Online Now May 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Yes, I've looked into this. Contact member name AlphaGhana who lived in the region. It's very expensive (a lot of bribes) and dangerous, unfortunately, but it's true that the Congo is the largest river that has rapids, but is as yet untapped by dam building projects. I've been to West Africa, so you can read my tips for Ghana, Burkina Faso, and Mali, if you haven't yet placed foot on the continent.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now May 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM

well, some of the things you´d have to be aware of is the rotten state of passenger boats and ferries on the rivers and lakes, and another the insecurity - in CAR most parts of the country are not under control of the government but controlled by warlords and bandits. But it´s the heart of darkness you are aiming at anyway, right?

• georeiser's Profile Photo

by georeiser Online Now May 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Yes, I have the desire to do exactly the same trip. However it is not much documentation or reviews about this area on the net.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now May 15, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Conrad's colonial notion of the Heart of Darkness--that men lose civilized behavior when they travel into the so-called uncivilized regions--was dismissed by Chinua Achebe's strong counter theme of Things Fall Apart--where colonial occupation undermines the social fabric of tribal relations. But, in any case, the desire is to explore places that haven't been fully logged and destroyed by corporate industry. The rusty boats are OK, the bandits and paramilitary on the take are not OK, making the trip more expensive than necessary.

• Wafro's Profile Photo

by Wafro Online Now Sep 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Many of the travel advices about CAR are exaggerated. The countrey is very save to travel, except for the northeastern part of the country where you still find bandits and rebels from Congo and Sudan. The Southwest of the country is save to travel, but you can’t reach Bangui dirtectly from Kinshasa. You have to chance the Congo river for the Ubangui river near Luokoléla to reach Bangui. When you arrive in the capital of the CAR it’s fairly easy to reach cameroon. Take a “ grand bus “ with direction Baboua near the Cameroonian border. There you have to chance transport for Cameroon: Garoua Boulai-Bertoua is the track you have to follow and when you arrive in Bertoua you arrive in civelization again, here you find internet and descent hotels.
    Bon chance mon amie!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Central African Republic Travel Answer Locations