Cayo Levantado Travel Answers

change location

Traveling by cruise ship and need some tips or info.

by Tucsonmike Online Now Mar 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I have one day next week by cruise ship to the island of Cayo Levantado in the Dominican Republic.My wife and I want to party and snorkel while there but dont know whats available to us. Should we go to the mainland or is it not an option? Any ideas would be great. Thanks Mike

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling by cruise ship and need some tips or info.

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM

On the island there's usually music coming from the food shacks and a band performing some typical music for a little while. That's pretty much the party scene there. On the mainland there's restaurants that offer food and music but no live band when the cruises arrive (that I know of).

Let me double check this and find out about snorkeling and I'll come back to you ASAP.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Hey Mike, according to the latest Lonely Planet guide, the best snorkeling close to you is on a small town called Las Terrenas. Las Terrenas is located on the north side of Samaná, about 30 minutes from it by taxi. Cayo Levantado is about 30 minutes from Samaná by boat, both ETA's one way.

Lonely Planet has these diver operators that they recommend:
    - Las Terrenas Divers: lt-divers.com/watersports_en... (link to price list)
    - Stellina Diving: stellinadiving.com/en/specia... (link to snorkeling but the text is in German, sorry).

Hope it helps.

• Re: Traveling by cruise ship and need some tips or info.

by Tucsonmike Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am not very computer savey, but I do thank you for your help. I am going to try to find that address that you gave me and maybe find some more info. Thanks again Mike

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Mike, I'll make it easier for you and your wife.

Here's the contact info from Stellina Diving:
    Phone: +1 829 887 5503
    E-Mail: info@stellinadiving.com
    They offer snorkeling excursions to the island "Las Ballenas".

Las Terrenas Divers offers:
    Snorkel excursion to the island "Las Ballenas" (with own equipment) = 20.00 US$; 1 1/2 hrs
    Snorkel excursion to the island "Las Ballenas" (without own equipment) = 25.00 US$; 1 1/2 hrs

Snorkel excursion "Playa Jackson" (with own equipment) = 30.00 US$; 2 hrs
    Snorkel excursion "Playa Jackson" (without own equipment) = 35.00 US$; 2 hrs

I couldn't find a phone number or e-mail address but they have a contact form at http://www.lt-divers.com/contact_en.htm - hope it helps.

On second thought: Las Terrenas Divers are located at the Hotel Bahía Las Ballenas and this is what I found:
    Phone: +1 809 240 6066
    E-Mail: b.lasballenas@verizon.net.do

Hope it helps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines